Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting everything running sweetly for the last 9k miles or so since purchase, I have the following problem ...
Flooring the car in 5th at say 60mph sees the boost gauge going up nicely into red - but as it nears full boost, the power drops off and the car shudders - like a misfire. (It'll do it in lower gears at lower rpms too)
Keeping it floored continues the shudder, easing off the throttle lets the car pick up again.
Also - flooring at high rpm doesnt show the problem as I assume its because the boost pressure is lower.
Info:
Sparks (correct ones) are 7k miles old.
Standard ECU
Vacuum hoses 'look' ok on first pass.
Original DI pack....

So - anyone else had this problem ? - Appreciate thoughts as always!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'd put money on your DI unit. Just changed mine on my Aero this week, exactly the same symptoms. Now running perfect. This is now my 3rd DI on this car, both previous ones having played up after about 70k miles on the aero. Interesting though, they work fine in my 2.0 lpt where boost is much lower.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers folks - I'm about to order the DI from Elkparts (£158)

Reasons:
1) The fault exactly as seen by most of you other DI changers...
2) The car has done 97K miles and I'm going to keep it for at least another 20k by which time the DI will almost certainly be on its way out anyway.

Anyone know a cheaper new DI source??

Phil

·
Registered
836 Posts
Originally posted by faero:
[qb]Anyone know a cheaper new DI source??

Phil [/qb][/b]
I bought a new one from Two Stroke to Turbo a couple of years ago and I was surprised at paying about £105, some years earlier the dealers wanted about £300 IIRC

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I think Elk is a good price though when I replaced mine got it from Saab with 10% discount for about £156 a year ago - it was just easier than mail order and I was worried I might damage cat if I kept running with mis-fire. Elk can normally get it to you for next day.

Mike

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DI ordered from Elk. Stage 1 savings now severely depleted...
Had a look though the silicon greasing of the DI boot links, but didnt seem to find a decent conclusion.

1) The DI boots are pre-greased (I am told)
2) BillJ uses Maplin spray silicon grease
3) The saab stuff is silly money

Current thought - If I get it right and do a single fitment of the DI then the pre-greased boots should be ok?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
got the DI from elk and fitted it today. The DI comes pregreased with plenty of grease so no probs there.
More importantly, the problem is fixed (hurrah!) - the car is smoother at tickover too. Looking back, it had a very slight 'blip' occassionally which is now gone (very subtle though)

Might need another adaptation run?? - i.e. anyone think that a misfire under full boost will cause the ECU to retart boost?

Either way - cheers for the info!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.