Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all you Aero owners with those lovely sexy seats.

I've just acquired a full set of rocky black Aero seats in excellent condition. However I've only picked up the drivers seat as my car was full of other Saab bits and noticed that the backrest recliner adjustment knob isn't on the left hand side where the backrest and seat base are hinged.

Can anyone let me know whether the adjustment only works when plugged into the electrics or is my adjustment knob missing?

I will be putting my anniversary seats into the classifieds if these new Aero seats work and if I can figure out how to post into the classifieds without the help from Arum Devil or the other helpful folk on here.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Aeroadster,

RE: "the backrest recliner adjustment knob isn't on the left hand side where the backrest and seat base are hinged."

As you are sat in my 96 Aero there is only one adjustment Knob and that’s on the right hand side in the middle of the seat back and it's for adjusting the lumber support.

All the other forward, back, up, down, tilt etc is controlled by the control panel on the right of the seat base.
The seats need power to move.
Hope this helps?

Steve.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve,

I'm in cloud cuckoo land tonight so forgive me for any dumb-wit questions.

I wanted to know how I can adjust the backrest so I can recline the backrest into a laying down position or more upright position.

It's just that I picked up the seat and the backrest is tilted so far forward I would be crouched leaning forward and my chest would be touching the steering wheel.

If the reclining adjustment is definitely electric only, then I'll wait til the weekend when I have time to fit it.

It's too dark to fit tonight and I'm picking up the rest of the seats tomorrow, hence why I'm seeking clarity tonight - in case I need to make a complaint.

Thanks in advance for any further help.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
The knob is just for lumbar adjustment. If you want to alter the position of the back relative to the seat base, you will need to apply power to the seat and use the control buttons.

It doesn't sound like there's anything wrong though

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Bubbles.

Hmm, if I get up an hour earlier tomorrow morning I might have a fiddle with the front seat.

How quick do you think I can strip a front seat out???

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
How quick do you think I can strip a front seat out???

[/ QUOTE ]

Took us 20 minutes the first time, but we hadn't done it before.

Once you know what you're doing, 10 mins? Take the plastic panel off, undo the seat belt bolt, undo the four bolts into the floor, disconnect the plugs and you're done.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Soulhand (the experienced one)

I'm leaving work early today as I'm on call so I might give it a crack tonight.

Is the plastic part easy to get off? Any special tricks needed?

Can anyone else offer advice? I'm sure Mr Torllbooster has experience of this???

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No...it's a Troll

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

I'm leaving work early today as I'm on call so I might give it a crack tonight.

Is the plastic part easy to get off? Any special tricks needed?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't remember all the details, but yes, it's reasonably straightforward.

Are you removing the Aero seat, or a normal (non-electic) seat?

All below from memory...

On the aero (driver's seat), raise the seat high first (there's a plastic peice you need to slide forward that can only be done easily if the seat is high)

Then remove the larger of the seat adjustment knobs to expose a bolt. Remove this.

Further back on the panel, prise off a plastic cover to reveal another screw. Remove this. There may be another one on this side; it so, remove that too

There's one around the back of the seat that also holds the cover on. Remove that too.

I think the Trox screwdrivers in the Saab's toolkit are enough to remove all of these.

Now (I think) the cover should come off.

Slide the plastic slider now revelaed fully forward.

The seatbelt is attached to the seat with a 17mm bolt. Have a look at the fixings on the seat you're replacing this with before you remove it - we were OK in that the fixings were compatible other postings lead me to believe not all seats are interchangable like this so you may need to swap the belts as well - I don't know how to do this.

Undo the four bolts holding the seat frame to the floor (easier if you move the seat fully forward or fully back as required). Some of these have quite restricted access - a socket extension and pushing the seat cushion sidewasys helps here.

Now the seat should be free. Tilt it, and disconnect the electrical plugs. Remove the seat.

"Refitting is the reverse of removal". The Aero driver's seat is the worst - all the others are much the same idea, only less complicated.

I'll PM you my mobile number - give me a ring if you get stuck and I'll try and remember more

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.