Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know these have a cult following, but I have found a 1993 L plate Aero, for £1800 with 170,000 miles and full history, quoted as immaculate interior and exterior, this price sounds a tad high to me for the year and mileage.

Any comments ?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
hmm - it so much depends on condition at that mileage and age. I tend to find that the value of a car can be 50% plus/minus based on condition. If its had everything done to it and has no faults then I reckon its good at the price. If it was a bag of nails then I wouldnt buy it regardless of price.
Check for
New Headgasket
Chain overhaul
Gearbox overhaul
Clutch (if manual)
Proof of lots of oil changes
Bush replacement (though this isnt to bad to do yourself)
TCS problems
All gadgets working (electric seats, mirrors, headlamp wipers etc)

Oh - and make sure you try and drive another one one first so at least you have a comparison.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Jason, I have a 1993 Aero and had a dialogue with Maptun and they basically said that they can do a 1993 Trionic without problems, it's just that they don't have stocks of ECU's to work with on an exchange basis so it's a case of sending your own in to be modded and waiting for the turnaround.

I'm desperately trying to factor this in while my Aero is sitting idle and therefore a spare car, it won't be in a couple of months though but buying a house at the same time has demands on funds.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
David,

I have a 1993 Aero (Maptun Stage 3 )

I also have a spare 1993 TCS T5 ECU under my desk..

Only problems are:-

It's the 2.3T one (only 200bhp)
It's got a faulty APC control so blows the APC solenoid, unless you pull fuse 5 (I also pulled the apc solenoid plug for belt and braces)

Like this, my aero was a 170 and a bit bhp timid but working motor for 2-3 weeks while my ecu was cared for by Maptun.

I also added a MBC to give me back my 1 bar boost short term (and got a rr figure of 231bhp
)

If you want, you can borrow it. I spent months chasing a 2nd hand ecu down and ended up getting this from America.

I was going to use this one for M stg3 ing, but when IU found the APC fault I used my known good ecu.

Andrew

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by David Taylor:
[qb]Jason, I have a 1993 Aero and had a dialogue with Maptun and they basically said that they can do a 1993 Trionic without problems, it's just that they don't have stocks of ECU's to work with on an exchange basis so it's a case of sending your own in to be modded and waiting for the turnaround.[/qb][/b]
It's the point Andrew's just made that I was referring to.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Thanks for the offer Andrew, the biggie is whether I get it done while I still have my 9000 2.0t. Plan is to sell that one once we move house.

Point taken Jason, I felt compelled to comment on the basis that if you look through the tuning sites, they generally list 1994 onwards thus giving the impression that 1993 can't be done.

The question is more whether you can do without the car for a short while if you can't get an exchange ECU but to note that an exchange ECU is not mandatory.

David.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts