Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having not driven another Aero or a 2.3 Turbo, my previous 9000 was a basic 9000S, I wonder how the performance of mine compares with other basic un-tweaked Aeros.
It seems quite quick on acceleration but runs out of puff at top end?
Pushing it through the gears to the point where the rev limiter kicks in it will achieve an indicated 70mph in second, 110 in third, it then runs up to about 135'ish in fourth but does not seem to have a lot of puff left thereafter.
I keep reading motoring reports indicating a top speed of 149mph but doubt mine could hit that.
The car has been regularily dealer serviced and has only covered 62,000 miles.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Same as mine 'till I tweaked it..
K+N filter + less restrictive exhaust made a significant difference in the way it picked up..
Unfortunately later aero's were overgeared and this manifests itself in this lethargy..good fuel cosumption though !

·
Registered
46 Posts
Do you live in Germany or something? Just how often are you wanting to exceed 135 mph in a hurry!?!

I never took my Aero over that when it was standard so I am unable to compare.

You don't mention 5th, are you running the auto box? If so the performance is notibly less than the manual version.

Ghost

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Hi TJB,
I can see your point, as my Aero seems quite lackluster at the bottom end of the rev range, due in no little way to the long gearing. Pick-up in gear seems tardy and accellerating from low rpm (say 2000rpm or so) catches the engine off balance, unlike the 2.0 Carlsson.
My previous CD Carlsson, although having much less torque and power, felt far quicker... or am I lacking something too...
Nick.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I agree.

see my post about a year back on the old Board called Aero V Carlsson. Due to the gearing and general smooth running of my 96 Aero, although it is quicker overall, the wild surge of my old 1990 195bhp non cat two litre Carly made it seem much peakier and quicker off the mark but the Aero is the better car (IMHO)

Julian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.