Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My 9-5 Aero (2001) has about 120,000 miles on the clock and over the last week has developed an intermittent starting problem. I dont think it's the CPS sensor as I have no hesitation ever once it starts and the problem is not one of hot starting but actually seems worse from a cold start (eg after being left over night). It also used to start without any throttle but now seems to need a smidge of throttle to get it to start at all. I changed the spark plugs and that seemed to help for a few days but this morning my wife couldn't get it to start at all. 15 minutes later I tried it and it started first time. Wondering if it's likely to be the DI cassette or the fuel pump or something else ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More info. It's still doing this but there is a pattern. First thing on a morning it wont start immediately but give it one churn on the starter and let it sit for 1 minute then try again and it starts immediately. A couple of weeks ago I had the brake lines redone and they had to drop the fuel tank a bit to get at them where they had corroded. I am thinking that this is a fuel issue, could a nipped fuel line or a disturbed fuel pump cause this ? You can hear the fuel pump winning when you turn the ignition on.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
It does sound fuel related. Have you tried just turning the ignition on and listening to the fuel pump priming the system? It should pump and then normally stop after about a second (and then start again when the engine starts). Try switching the ignition off/on a few times before starting and see what happens.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi

I was going to create a new post today with the exact same symptoms - then I saw yours. Mine struggles when cold too - but is totally fine in every other way & starts no problem once it's warmed.

I recently replaced my CPS after a failure & the fuel pump was replace by the main dealer last year after a failure. This hesitation when starting has only started after I changed the CPS. I read about air-leaks, splits in hoses etc, but I'm not sure where to start!

I'll post an update if I find anything...

Bruce

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yup! Removed it before putting the new one in. Did everything by the book & even removed the front section of exhaust to get into the screw holding the CPS in place. Also - the battery seems fine - tried the charger on it a few times just in case...but it's fully charged.

Having said that - I went out tonight, (having not moved it since last night) & it started without a problem! Hmmmm!?! :crazy:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Is the check engine light on at all (does it come on when you turn the ignition on before you try and start the engine?) that you need to use some throttle to make it start is very very odd.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've booked it into the Indie on Tuesday. It's due an MOT & service around now anyway. Hopefully it'll be an 'easy' fix!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Quick update;

Got the car back from the indie today - they diagnosed a faulty DI cartridge. I've got a spare in the garage at home, so I'll swap them over & see if that cures it. Also need a new breather system - but that's for another day!

Cheers
Bruce

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I finally got to the bottom of this. It was the fuel filter ! It was corroding and I finally noticed when it left a petrol mark when my wife was talking to someone with teh car ticking over. It wasn’t starting as it was de-pressurising the system when left standing for a n hour or so. New filter installed and all is well now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys I have a 2004 Saab 9-5 aero and I have changed the DIC spark plugs fuel pump fuel filter new air filter turbo bypass valve literally I've thrown so many parts at this car and it's still hard starts doesn't matter if it's in the morning after driving it just does it whenever it wants I've changed the crankshaft position sensor and a code keeps popping up saying it's a misfire and it's the CPS and I don't know what to do anymore. I even bought a tech 2 And nothing helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts