Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, The bacK tilt switch seems to have given up the ghost.It goes forward but not backwards.
Does one have to change the whole switch assembly. Is this something I can maybe do, not desperately experienced nor handy but willing to try.
Could anyone "talk" me through it?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
When I bought my Aero, I had the same problem. It wasn't the switch but rather the plastic operator.

You can get the switch off and check for loose wires but on mine, the switch itself was fine, there's a piece of plastic like a T in shape with very long top bar which slides forwards and backwards and pulls the operating switch. One ear of the T had broken so only one of the switches could be operated in one way.

Glue wouldn't help because the plastic is in tension to operate it so I fixed mine by melting in some copper braid with a soldering iron to give physical strength.

In case this description doesn't mean much, this is the same method on a different part http://www.saabscene.co.uk/cgi-bin/ultimat...pic/2/5085.html

and because it's Christmas (well so my kids would have me believe), if you don't feel like doing it, I'll happily have a look if you want, for nothing, just cover post (of the switch, not the whole car).

David.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Should have said, to get the switch off, you need to remove the plastic panel on the side of the seat, screws are fairly obvious, pop the disc that covers the seat belt retainer and remove the screw underneath, carefully prise off the switch caps, a couple of screw drivers using even pressure will be fine.

Then remove the screw underneath the switch buttons.

Remove the panel and then it's a couple or three more screws to remove the whole switch assembly itself and unplug and set to on the bench (or post as per my offer ). I don't want to push it but if you do want to send it to me (or have someone else deal with it, a little tip, set the seat in 3 sensible positions and set the memory settings so that in the meantime you can at least move the seat even though to only 3 positions.

This diagram should give you some pointers:-

David.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mr Taylor, Thanks for that and the offer to weld it together for me if I can get the thing off. I might have to get in touch about that but lets see if I can get the switch out without causing any terminal damage.
This seems like a great forum. I used to drive Apple Newton Messagepads and they had a great forum too. Really clever people who know their stuff and are not afraid to share.Thanks

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
This is a great forum Bob and you can call me David

May I also suggest the search feature as you'll probably find that your gearbox will fail, the windscreen washer reservoir will split, the suspension bushes will need changing, the timing chain will rattle, the head gasket will blow, the turbo will blow smoke, the headlamp wipers will fail to park, the sunroof will leak, the instrument panel bulbs will blow, the check engine light will illuminate, the pictogram will become possessed and do it's own thing, all of which have solutions posted!

Remind me again why I like my Aero?!

David.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
David, to be honest, I'm not sure I adore mine yet but it might have something to do with the" Quote 275 bhp unquote"that is what I was told when I bought it.... that kicks in eventually somewhere over 3k revs. It is lovely but the 20.3 mpg average freaks me out since I drive it mainly in town. It is fun trying to drive sensibly and keep the consumption bar over the 30 mark
Love hate relationship I feel...

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
20.3 mpg average freaks me out since I drive it mainly in town. It is fun trying to drive sensibly and keep the consumption bar over the 30 mark  [/b]

there must be something wrong....

I have never seen my aero dip below 25 even in town (except on the track of course)

even now I get over 30 mpg (maptun stage 6 with 630 cc injectors (std is 230 iirc))

Hows your air filter ?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Originally posted by Svenska Aero:
[qb]my 2.3T auto just about manages 17-18mpg around town.[/qb][/b]
Is this what the computer tells you, or a full-tank-to-full-tank calculation? Do a few full-to-full comparisons to see what you are REALLY getting, it might surprise you. If not, then there's something wrong!

My 9k Aero (manual) manages well over 30mpg on average.

Cheers,

Ben.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys.
Havn't done tank to tank calculation but will give it a go in the hope of sleeping soundly at night (how big should i make the mortgage, to run the car over the next 5 years or so??!!).
I seem to get high 20's maybe 30mpg on a run, it's just not a 'round town kinda car I guess.
Fun though.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Bobphotographer,

We seem to have got off the thread here, I am not helping by joining in around the half way bit about the Claimed BHP of your car.
You say you were quoted "275BHP" when you bought it.
The standard BHP is, I believe, around 225.
With an ECU remap, sports dump valve, cat removal, bigger exhaust diameter etc' you may be around the 275 mark (on paper !!) What mods was the car supposed to have had??

As a matter of interest, I have the 2.3 Full Blown Turbo, with around 260 BHP with Mods. I can get a wicked kick in the middle gears at certain revs, and the bleed valve I fitted holds the boost on full for much longer ( down side of this and other mods is that the gearbox pretty much melted on me recently and it cost a fortune to put right)

Cheers,
Andy.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello David
Thank you for the advice and I think I have fixed the switch. you were correct in that it was the switch and I have glued it with some really strong epoxy resin.
I dont have a soldering iron but I thought perhaps melting the two bits of plastic together with a small red hot screwdriver might do a similar trick. So far the glue is working though. Thank you again, Bob

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Atomic Badger

As much as I know, remapped ECU, Bigger air intake, dump valve, water injection, bigger intercooler whatever that means, bigger exhaust and special air filter but still only about 20 odd in town.
Shall we move this discussion to another topic.
Bob's aero chair somehow doesn't seem appropriate anylonger especially since I fixed it all by myself with David's help

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Well done Bob. you'll forgive my doubt that the glue won't hold though

At least you know what's involved if you have to have another go and tweak your technique. What you could have done is heat bits of wire or braid and melt them in or something like a small staple and heat that in.

David.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.