Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
i have a 96 Aero with the Super Aero alloys that allow the wheels studs to be seen.
I must admit that i much prefer the look of the earlier wheels when they have a centre cap fitted.
First of all, if i got hold of a set will these caps fit straight onto my wheels and has anyone any idea re price or better still where i might get a second hand set from.

Secondly if i wanted to look for a second hand set of wheels does anyone know if wheels from another car manufacturer would have the correct PCD and offset?
(ie for the later Saab 5 stud hubs i believe that Vauxhall rims go straight on ).
What will go straight on a 4 stud 9000 hub other than Saab specific rims?
I am just trying to widen the available choice when looking for second hand rims and if wheels for another make of car would fit i would have an easier time finding something suitable, particularly in 17 or 18 inch rim sizes.

Thanks Darryl

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
No, the centre caps will not fit. I must admit I quite like the exposed-bolt Super Aeros.

I've heard the Ford Focus uses the same bolt pattern. I believe some people have fitted Focus wheels to the 9000. I don't know how close the offset is.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by BillJ:
[qb]No, the centre caps will not fit. I must admit I quite like the exposed-bolt Super Aeros.[/qb][/b]
Sorry Bill, your wrong.

I currently have 2 x exposed bolt super aeros and 2 x "old type" super aeros on my car, all fitted with centre cover caps. The centre caps will fit if you remove the small cap (thingy with the saab logo on it) that covers the hub nut. Admittedly, the caps don't fit as well as they do on the old style wheels, so longer term I will try and get another pair of later wheels and a set of Saab logo things to fit in the middle of the wheels.

However, centre caps from the earlier Carlsson 3-spokes won't fit the super Aeros as the earlier caps are larger.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I could be wrong but I think that Ford wheels will fit as I have heard this before like Bill has. Also I looked into buying some 17'' and they were Ford compatable as well. I think PCD is the same.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Jason (Mr Torque Steer):
[qb]Admittedly, the caps don't fit as well as they do on the old style wheels[/qb][/b]
That's what I meant. I suppose they look OK to some but to me they look a bit of a bodge fitted like that.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Certainly the PCD of Focus wheels is the same (4x108mm) as is the centre-bore 65.0mm. I think you'll find that Volvo 850 (to'93) Peugeot 205/6,306/7/9 and 405/6 along with Citroen BX,ZX,Xantia,Xsara and Saxo's share these same characteristics.
However, be careful that the offset of the wheel is correct for your car, the Peugeots and Citroens have a smaller offset as standard (around 15-25mm) compared to the Saab. The Volvo 850 was the same in all respects(30mm offset).
I looked at the Ford website yesterday, as I've just seen some wheels I like on a 2003 Focus Ghia (a seven spoke design), however they wern't on the website and the only 17" wheels that were had a very large offset (49mm?).

HTH.
Nick.

PS. I gleaned this info from the Tyresave website before they took the page offline recently.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by BillJ:
[qb] QUOTE
Originally posted by Jason (Mr Torque Steer):
[qb]Admittedly, the caps don't fit as well as they do on the old style wheels[/qb][/b]
That's what I meant. I suppose they look OK to some but to me they look a bit of a bodge fitted like that. [/qb][/b][/quote]Sorry, I get your drift now. I admit that they are a bodge, but since these are my spare wheels I'm not too fussed about it.

Regarding other marques; I'm pretty sure that the sierra used the same offset as the 9000. I remember someone telling me that they rescued a set of 16" Carlsson cross spokes from a Sierra. So I guess it's possible to use an aftermarket 16x6.5" wheel designed for sierra's on a 9000.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to everyone for the help so far.
With 17 inch rims what would be the maximum offset permissible to avoid tramlining and other handling/clearance problems.
I inderstand that 25mm is recommended for this size wheel on a 9000 although there seems to be plenty of choice in the Ford Fitment Range between 32 and 38 mm offset.

Darryl

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
The stock offset for Fords tends to be less than for Saabs. Wheel diameter has nothing to do with offset, but width does. The 18" wheels I've got on mine were previously fitted to a Focus (see avatar)

To keep the edge of the tyre in the same position, you keep the offset the same as you increase the width. This can lead to rubbing on the inside edge of the tyre though.

To keep the track width the same as stock, you should increase the offset by half the increase in wheel width.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Lets put that equation into figures:

Code:
Width (inches)    Width (mm)    Offset (mm)
6         152.4         20.7
6.5         165.1         27.0
7         177.8         33.4
7.5         190.5         39.7
8         203.2         46.1
I worked from the 6.5 wheel Aero wheel, which I know to have an offset of 27mm. Somebody please correct me if I've made an error here.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
naahh doesn't work like that

its right if you want to keep the same track
unfortunately the wheel will foul the rear suspension
If you want to run wider wheels you have to reduce the offsett
I run with an offsett of 35 on 7.5 inch rims
you have to re-locate the handbrake bracket at this offsett
If I run a 8 " rim I would habve to run with a 25 or less to clear (increasing the track and moving the edge of the tyre "out" of the car )
This is probably as wide as you can go without arch work....

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Sorry, severe case of foot in mouth on my part

There's a handy calculator here .

It's the opposite of what I said. A diagram will be helpful:

So, if the offset stays the same for a wider whell both the inner and outer edge of the wheel move nearer to touching the inner or outer of the wheel arch. If you decrease it as the wheel gets wider, then you can keep the outer edge of the wheel in the same place, but move closer to the inner edge of the arch.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
OK, so I'm all confused. I think I understand the calculations OK, but how much can the inner side move before fouling on something? How much can the outer edge move out before projecting beyond the bodywork (which is presumably the issue there)?

Alternatively, does anyone have measurements for wheels that are known to fit OK?

I've got 15" Anniversary alloys currently - and Konis/Abbott springs etc. Will I notice much difference with 16" wheels (ride and handling)? What about 17"? Anyone prepared to lend me some for a week or two?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Rimstock's website has a facility that tells you the bolt pattern and centre bore diameter for any car - just punch in the car make and model. As we now know, Peugot seem to be the closest - you just have to pick something with the right offset.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
OK...
I am about to get some new rims for my 9000 Aero, and looking at going for some big brakes in the future. now the question is, I can get some Diablo Racer (in silver, not chrome) rims, in 17x7 with an offset of +40
1 - they look like they should have clearance for the brakes - not dished or anything,
and
2 - will I have any problems with these rims - ie - will i need spacers or anything, for say the rear etc..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.