Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am intending to book my 9000 into Abbott in the next few weeks for a limited slip diff as some of the gearbox seals are on their way out and I thought I'd go the whole hog to save labour.

I'm quite happy with the performance of the car at present (very happy with the strut brace!!), but wondered how much real difference the highflow intercooler would make? Has anyone added the intercooler only on an Abbott visit? Oh, current setup is Speedparts stage 3, which gave 290bhp/293lb at Power Engineering.

I also like the look of the delivery pipe, but it sounds as though it makes hardly any difference to performance!

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by JezF:
[qb]but wondered how much real difference the highflow intercooler would make?[/qb][/b]
A lot, Jez. It really opens up the top end of the car and you get much less performance loss in the summer. Spool up is noticeably quicker. It's a fairly easy DIY job

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
just a point..
john from wmss says if the car has had a "tap" at the front end it makes fitting it a pita...
mine went in no probs tho....

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just spoke to Giles. They'll charge 30mins to fit as they are doing the LSD as well.

I mentioned front strut braces and they are looking at designing one that fits under the bonnet! I believe the ones they used on their racing cars meant a re-designed bonnet as it stuck up too far.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Yes, Jez, I talked to them about that some time ago when they first saw mine .

It will be the same sort of idea, but made out of stainless tube rolled flat, and will be stiffer.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could not believe how much difference it makes. Everyone with a tuned 9000 should have one of these. CD Carlsson drove my 9000 at the weekend and put his order in straight away.

It's not only handling that is improved, the car seems to ride better and does not crash through lumps and bumps anywhere near as badly before. It also seems to have better traction, but maybe that is just because the whole front end feels tighter?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, Speedparts front brace. I assume it fits older 9000s, like Keiths?

Keith, I think you'd be astounded at how much difference this along with other suspension mods has made to my car if you drive it at a future meeting.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I know the front brace makes a diff but I cannot see how the speedparts design for the rear makes much of a difference.
I would have thought that an "X" brace across the rear pillars would be more effective stopping all relative movement between the rear suspension.. in two dimensions
the existing design only limits it in one ...

the abbott one has a half a cross brace
anyone for a group buy if I can find a fabricator ?

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by ylee coyote:
[qb]I would have thought that an "X" brace across the rear pillars would be more effective stopping all relative movement between the rear suspension.. in two dimensions
the existing design only limits it in one ...

the abbott one has a half a cross brace        
[/qb][/b]
The single diagonal brace, as per the Abbott design should work in tension and compression according to the load reversal through the brace system. The 'X' brace (a tension brace system) would'nt offer a significant advantage over the Abbott one IMHO.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
SLightly OT perhaps: can anyone who has a LSD fitted tell me if they have lost traction whilst turning a tricky corner (at speed)?
My own experience with FWD cars and LSD are less than happy ones . But it could be the driver, not the LSD

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
The type of LSD does make a difference. I once drove a Group A rally prepared 205GTi with a conventional clutch pack LSD and that was not pleasant at all, even trying to drive the thing in a straight line....

The Quaife ATB diff Abbott use is a much tamer and softer acting type of LSD, in a normal trip to Tesco's you would'nt even know you had a LSD, but feed it with some torque on the bendy bits and it makes a huge difference. It does'nt eliminate wheelspin completely though if you are very violent with the accelerator pedal....

1 - 20 of 52 Posts