Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a forum I don't usually have a reason to frequent...

My old fella has just replaced his Hirsch 9-5 with a 9000 2.3FPT (200bhp) Auto Anniversary - long story, but basically the chap who bought his caravan really wanted his tow car too

Question is, he thinks it feels a bit more sluggish than he expected, what should he do? I've suggested an adaptation run (how do you do this in an auto??) - the car has only 60-oddK miles and hasn't been over 70 mph very often. Anything else obvious that he should check?

Cheers...

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I'd dose it with a bottle of injector cleaner, a bottle of valve cleaner and take it for a good long hard run up the motorway to burn the crud out of it.

I guess you need to know what fuel is in it as the 2.3FPT are much happier with super unleaded/optimax etc.

Steve

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks chaps. I suspect it's got supermarket 95 so the fuel will be a good point, he'd better get some miles on it to empty the tank!

Injector cleaner & valve cleaner I presume wouldn't have any -ve effect on the cat?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
What is the boost gauge reading? An auto should hit 0.8 bar which is just about the start of the broken red zone.

If the boost is OK, it's worth checking the inlet temperature sensor (or just replacing it anyway for around £20). My Aero was down on power even though it was still giving full boost. It was only when it failed the MOT on emissions (high lambda - lean mixture) that I had an indication of where the problem might be. I eventually worked out all the inputs that Trionic uses to determine the air mass (and hence how much fuel to inject) and when I measured the temperature sensor, it was only just out of spec. Not enough to light the "check engine" light, but enough to badly affect the mixture. I fitted a new sensor in the dealer's forecourt (brought the spanner with me, 19mm I think). This gradually brought back all the
as Trionic adapted over the course of the 10-mile drive back from the dealer.

Except in really hot weather like today, 95 RON should give reasonable performance in a 2.3T auto.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.