Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone got one of these units off Ebay and installed OBDll software (Windows XP) which they are satisfied with? The drivers from FTDI seem to have installed OK but the info. with Scanmaster is very limited unless you pay a fair chunk of money for the licence. The alternatives seem to be OBD 2007 giving a fully working version to try out for 7 days and BR which is full and free. Problem is, that I cannot get OBD 2007 or BR to function.

I am advised that Scanmaster does not require a USB driver and provides an automatic connection, so I am not too sure that the drivers have installed as they should, although Device Manager shows the FTDI device to be working properly. Any advice/help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've not had much luck.

I succesfully installed the device (after much ado with Com ports).

However software-wise the choice is fairly appauling,
Software falls into one of these three groups:

1) Terribly written software with support for only Com port 1 or 2.
2) Terribly written software that doesn't connect to the device.
3) Terribly written software that will only tell you if there are any codes that demands huge sums of cash for anything further.
4) Software that appears professional, well written and intuitive on a website, but wont download / install.

I've tested about 10 different packages overall, and not found one yet that meets even basic requirements.

So if anyone finds a decent package let us all know,
Kev

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've not had much luck.

I succesfully installed the device (after much ado with Com ports).

However software-wise the choice is fairly appauling,
Software falls into one of these three groups:

1) Terribly written software with support for only Com port 1 or 2.
2) Terribly written software that doesn't connect to the device.
3) Terribly written software that will only tell you if there are any codes that demands huge sums of cash for anything further.
4) Software that appears professional, well written and intuitive on a website, but wont download / install.

I've tested about 10 different packages overall, and not found one yet that meets even basic requirements.

So if anyone finds a decent package let us all know,
Kev[/b]
Thanks for posting - I was beginning to think it was just me! I have had a long exchange of emails with the developer of OBD 2007 (glmsoftware.com) in Oz. After first insisting that I had installed the incorrect FTDI drivers, he has come around to my line of thinking that the ELM327 is faulty. It will read the Scanmaster, but nothing else and in one of his emails the guy said that he did not think that Scanmaster needed the USB drivers, but made an automatic connection (through the unit) The OBD 2007 software looks good and you may try the full version for 7 days before purchase, which is a lot better than anything else - if you can get the ELM327 to connect!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.