Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have just sold my rover and is to looking replace it with a 9000 Aero. I would like some adivce on what to look out for and if there are any major problems with cars with over 100k miles.
Also what do you guys think of Abbott Racing? Are they any good? They have a couple Aeros for sale but seam a bit pricey to me. What do think is a fair price for a 96 Aero with 130k on the clock.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Abbott Racing.....it depends on what you are looking for in an Aero. I've just looked, and they only have 1 9000 Aero, the silver one with all the Abbott catalogue fitted to it.

All those bits, with the odd exception (such as LSD) don't IMHO add much if anything to the value of an Aero, so I would say £7695 for a MY96 Aero with 88K miles is a tad on the expensive side, even allowing for trade/dealer prices.
But, on the other hand, to find a decent Aero with that sort of mileage, and then add all those bits would set you back a damn site more than £8K, so if a highly modded Aero is your cup of tea then it could be seen as a bargin....

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Moved to the 9000 board for a better response.

Welcome to the board by the way

See BillJ's http://www.saab9000.com/ site for loads of info, including a buying guide.

Abbotts do have a good reputation, but they are not the cheapest.

Main things to look for is a good service history - look to see whether or not the car has had the timing chains done, as this can cost over £1000, if it needs doing. Check all the electrics work - cruise control, climate/air-con, interior fan on all settings (heater matrix). Other things that tend to go on 9000's are engine mounts, slave cylinder, master cylinder.... there are more, someone will be along soon to add to this list. Check operation of ABS and TCS if it has TCS.

I've heard people say before now to avoid the early 9000 Aero's though this may just because they are less upgradeable, than the later models. Also be aware that there are some 2.3FPT Anniversary 9000's with the Aero's 225BHP engine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for that.
The other Aero is not on the website yet. It is a 96 N Le Mans blue 134K miles 18" alloys Koni Springs for £5500.
The Silver one is out of my price range..
Not to fussed about it being modded as I will mod it my own way as funds allow.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Don't worry too much about the miles - as long as the car's been cared for, it should be good for 200-500k miles! I've had 3 9000's, lowest mileage when purchased was 140,000. These are superb cars, but they are not cheap to maintain if they do go wrong.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just the trying to get out of the usual way of thinking high miles =bad. Too many friends with high mileage fords and peugeots

I got the impression were ok but it good to check with people who have dealt with them.

can't wait to find one

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by Priority J:
[qb] 
The other Aero is not on the website yet. It is a 96 N Le Mans blue 134K miles 18" alloys Koni Springs for £5500.
[/qb][/b]
Hmmmnnnn....I'd say £5500 for that is a bit much, unless you are getting a seriously good warrenty with it...which you would expect as it's being sold by a trader....

18" wheels
, my guess is you would be looking to get shot of those pretty quick afterwards as well

·
Registered
613 Posts
Originally posted by aeropilot:
[qb] QUOTE
Originally posted by Priority J:
[qb]
can't wait to find one       [/qb][/b]
That's the hard bit

A quick check on autotrader reveals 7 for sale nationwide, but they are all auto's...
[/qb][/b][/quote]That's the exact same problem I encountered. But I eventually found one - N-Reg, manual, black, angora grey leather (cheers Graham
), 88k miles, two previous owners, £3.8k.

I found it through word of mouth - you may find it worthwhile putting a WANTED ad on the Classifieds section of this site: that's how I got mine!

·
Registered
608 Posts
I saw the abbott one there for 7.7K, way too expensive, seems like they just added the price for all the mods onto a base AERO.

IMHO its better to start with the base car, then see what you like about it, then set about any improvements, gradually, as funds permit and it gives you a chance to notice each mod in isolation

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers for all the advice.
Would prefer a standard car if poss. Do you advise against running 18"s, i have seen a few with 18" s on. Do they handle better with 17"s? I know my Rover did (went from 15" to 17" MG wheels and it handled alot better).
Will have alook on the exchange and mart website

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
If the car is used as regular transport then 18" are generally considered a bit much as far a noise-vibration-harshness is concerned. But, of course to some that's not a problem which is why you'll see some 9000's fitted with 18's. I believe Abbott offer a different spring rate for 9000's with 18" wheels fitted, not to mention some adjustment to the camber/castor settings, which could mean a spring change as well if you found the 18's too much on that car.
Generally 17" with 215/225 tyres is the optimum for a 9000.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I started my 9000 on 15" and after looking for a set of SAAB 16" and the prices for a second hand set scaring me off, I opted for a set of 17" , it has given me much better grip and the car looks so much better, however, my car needed lowering afterwards!

With regards to buying an AERO, at the time I was looking for a 9000, I was only aware of the Carlsson model, which I deemed as too old and was unaware of a 9000AERO, I wish I had of looked for one now with the benefit of hindsight, but with a few mods, performance wise, a non AERO can be just as much fun

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The car won't be used as everyday transport (have a Diesel Megane company car) for that so the Aero will be for fun
same as the rover was( just got bored of that after4 years and only 120bhp needed turbo power).
Have looked at CSE's but prefer the Aero bodykit and seats.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not too fussed about load carrying. company motor can be used for that

I just like them for space around the driver. I am tall so like the leg One of the few cars i feel comfortable straight away

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
How about an Anniversary. Same bodykit and special embossed seats?

You could have a 2.3FPT (200bhp) or a 2.3LPT + Stage 1 (235bhp with 300+ lbs of torque)

David! has one that puts out around 260bhp - which would give an Aero a good run for its money.

I have driven both and the Aero really pins you in the seat, but I prefer the comfort and slightly softer drive of the Anniversary (personal opinion here folks, so please don't shoot me dowm in flames)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.