Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm new to these forums and have been spending a great deal of time trawling throught the posts here (good info to be found)

I've just bought a Saab 9-3 2.0S LPT (W-2000) (nothing flash) and was wondering what I can do to increase the performance?

If anyone has any links to good suppliers (UK) I would be grateful.
Also do modifications adversly effect engine life
and what sort of increase in insurance can I expect to pay?

I could really do with a workshop manual for this car but Haynes say they "might publish one for this car in 2004"!! Anyone know another manual or where I can get info please?

All info and website addresses gratefully recieved.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Nice to have you join us Teleport .

As far as performance upgrades are concerned: I am sure that you'll find here every bit of advise you'll ever need. But what about the looks as well? Or do you prefer a stealth car rather than an obvious thunderbolt?
I myself, as do many others on this board, prefer a knock-out gorgeous look, with a knock-out punch in the engine bay to keep potential trouble makers at arms length(= BMW, AUDI etc. in the rearview mirror ).

Post a pic or two of your new car if and when you can .

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
The 9-3 LPT is a great car.. mechanically identical to it's higher pressure turbo siblings, but way cheaper to buy initially.

You have quite a few options to increase the power on the LPT, because to start with it's only software to unleash the power.

You can choose the Hirsch chip (http://www.hirsch-performance.ch/motor_e.htm) which is supplied by Saab's official engine tuner in Europe - Hirsch - It takes your 150HP and leaves you with 222HP. It costs around 1000 pounds inc VAT inc Fitting in the UK. You can THEN add a sports exhaust, uprated intercooler and air intake for EVEN more horsepower!!! ... People with hirsch chips and a full sports exhaust, intercooler and air intake have been getting around 250HP with no sideaffects.

You can choose the Speedparts Stage 2 kit (http://www.elkparts.co.uk) which provides a Trionic chip, sports airfilter and 3inch rear half exhaust which will take your car to around 229HP, it costs around 550 pounds plus VAT.. plus fitting of the bits. Again you can suppliment that with other performance bits to gain more power.

You can also choose the Maptun route. Their Stage 1 kit (http://www.maptun.com) provide trionic reprogramming and a solenoid valve to gain 225 HP - this costs around 540 Pounds plus vat etc.. There are various further stages with Maptun which can lead to 310HP.. but obviously costs rise.

And there is also the Abbott route, which takes the car to 210HP (http://www.abbottracing.com) - it's a trionic upgrade and costs 535pounds excluding VAT and fitting. Adding exhaust, airfilter, downpipe, intercooler etc all will increase the power over 210.

So the choice is yours.. there are people on this board with all of these choices on various Saab cars... just ask if you have a question!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome to the board.
I have a 9-3 LPT auto 1999 that I have upgraded - Speedparts stage 1, Eibach Pro springs & dampers, Brembo discs and Ferrodo pads.
It's now a completely different car with huge factor.
IMHO would urge you to do suspension changes first as these make the most difference day to day. I used Elkparts and TSL who were both tremendously helpful.
Enjoy

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Mark A hit it spot on. There are many choices out there and there are pluses and minuses to each of them. The choice really is yours.

I can also second the idea of doing suspension and brakes first. You want to be able to control the power and stay on the road. However, if you will be looking for extra grunt for passing and such, and do not attack the curves as much, the power can be added first. Just be careful because you will come up on things quite quickly!

Good luck!

HIRSCH! HIRSCH! HIRSCH!

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Oh yes. I have been enjoying my Hirsch stainless steel exhaust combined with Speedparts Stage Two ECU for three months or so, now. Marvellous

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, everyones so helpful

Thanks for the ideas guys.

But before I go off to do some research on these options I need to know:

DO ECU UPGRADES INCREASE ENGINE/TURBO WEAR?

WHAT DROP IN FUEL CONSUMPTION CAN I EXPECT?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I don't know about the other tuners, however, Hirsch sells modded cars with a full warranty, so I'd imagine they don't feel there is a longevity issue. Also, I believe Abbott and Nordic do this as well.

As for fuel consumption, my daily average improved slightly, about 1 mpg, not really significant. It will, of course, use more fuel at higher throttle settings, as fuel is dumped in the cylinders to aid in in-cylinder cooling.

And not that it is very relevant, but on the Nurburgring, I got 9.6 mpg! But there is no better way to guzzle gas!

·
Registered
58 Posts
My consumption went from around 29mpg to around 27mpg - so not a big deal especially as I went from 154bhp to 225bhp !!
As for longevity I change the oil every 4K miles which may be overkill but must surely help. In doing my research I didn't come across any major issues whatsoever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts