Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 93' CS Aero, started and ran ok this morning all the way to work. Once I passed the security gates at work the car started to splutter under light aceleration and was hesitant.
I managed to get it to a parking space.
I then looked under the bonnet with the car being hesitant and spluttering at idle.
I noticed that water had backed up into my water resovoir and had even come out of the pressurised cap! .
I then turned the car off and restarted the car, the result was the same although there was a big white puff of smoke that came out of the exhaust on restart,

I don't know whats wrong and am thinking the worst. It reminds me of a forged piston/ piston ring failure that I had with the Evo
I have not had time to look at it since because of a meeting, thats the government for ya!
I'll be glad of any advice from anyone who has had experience of this or who knows what has happened.
I'm going to have a look at it during lunch time and would hope for some advice by then.
As I do not want to restart and move the car again, if it is going to ruin the engine even more.

Many Thanks in Advance

I am just not having a good year at all

Tony

·
Registered
444 Posts
Sorry to be pessimistic but it sounds very much like the head gasket has gone. If it's overheating and pressurising the cooling system, it's a fair bet it's that. Also the puff of white smoke/steam is a bit of a giveaway.

I might be wrong and perhaps some others may know a bit more about head gasket failure than I do but it sounds like a tow to a garage job.

Ant

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that Ant,

The funny thing is that the Temp gauge was reading normal
so I'm still a bit confused, Would it be visible, to the eye do you think on the edge of the gasket or is the problem internal?

Tony

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Could be blown between the cylinder and waterway in which case not necessarily visible. White puff would seem to indicate head gasket - I wondered during the recent very hot weather how much extra strain might be caused to heads/overheating. Possibly a compression test may confirm.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hello, tony
Sorry to hear that you ave such a trouble. I'm pretty sure that your head gasket is blown. the white smoke indicates that you have water on the circuit, and it only happens with a head gasket failure. If you have to change it, may I recomand to buy the copper one at saabperformanceparts.com, as you have to change it. I think it will be a better one than the stock unit.
See you tony, hope to have good news from you ! Laurent

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm afraid it is a head gasket
Thanks laurent, I'll ask them to put a copper one back in.
worse luck I had was on Monday, when I went through one of the small streets in central london, and ran over loads of screws and nails , some booby trap I fell for.
My two new p6000's were destroyed. I ended up having to buy two cheapy tyres to keep me on the go!
Hi Mark E, funny enough I managed to see your car first before meeting you!
Nicr to see that we both use the same local garage! Hope to meet up with you one day!

Thanks to all

Tony

·
Registered
122 Posts
tony,
you would better buy your copper head gasket by yourself and then bring it to the technicians, otherwise, they won't do the job as they are not used to internet and stuff.
It's always hard to obtain something different from them....
see you soon
laurent

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I am yet to be convinced of the value of these copper head gaskets- despite all the power and boost, and overheating problems I've had on mine, I have not had a problem with head gasket failure. You'll also have to wait at least a week for it to get here...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe that time is the main factor in my decision at the moment. I need my car for trips to London for work, and my Evo's off the road with engine out
Thanks Laurent and Mark E for your comments.
See what happens at the mo, might need other bits doing to my car, but will not know until the garage gets back to me.

Trouble is that I'm on a tight budget at the moment. Once the house is sold then

Cheers

Tony

1 - 12 of 12 Posts