Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone shed some light on how the ignition advance works on a 2.0 turbo? Is it vacuum advance and pressure retard? If so, what is the in-line valve for?

I'm still getting some pinking under boost, and was wondering if it was either advancing too much (or not retarding enough) under load?

TIA,
Alan

·
Registered
335 Posts
its all done by magic - nothing you can adjust i dont remember.. on boost problems first thing to check is spark plug condition and gap - it can sound like pinking type noise
i'm assuming the car has DI?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Only very early models, '85-'86 use the distributor for timing. Subsequent models have a crankshaft position sensor and timing is done by the ECU. From '89 on all turbo models use DI.
Basically, except for the very early cars no timing adjustment is possible.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, it's an 'old-skool' Hall effect job. Plugs are new, as are dizzy cap and rotor. I've just changed the fuel and air filter too. I've also run some de-coking gunge through the engine, and checked the vac pipes.

I'm pretty sure it's pinking, the APC cuts the boost back as soon as it happens, and then all is quiet again.

The mixture *might* still be too lean under boost, but I'm just wondering if excessive advance could be a possibile cause?

Alan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.