Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been following the thread on Bars Leak which raised another question in my mind. When my 9000T reached about 120,000 miles and i thought on last legs(ignorance is bliss!)I started adding Molyslip at oil changes which I have always kept to every 6,000 miles when previously had only used straight oil. It is still running now(though retired)at 174,000 miles. I had always used Wynns in my Volvos but am currently again using straight oil in my NG 900T. Is there any consensus regarding the use(or not) of additives in engines?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I can only say that when I retired my '87 9000T at 200K miles, the engine was showing no signs of distress at all, although the gearbox had had it. I had never used additives, and the car had previously been dealer-serviced, so I imagine it never did see additives. The dealer told me to use only fully-synthetic oil, as this car did not have a water-cooled turbo.

Oh, there was occasionally some slight turbo smoke by 200K miles. Not bad and not often.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I have used additives on other cars ( a few Peugeots and Audi's) but none of them were turbocharged models. A Peugeot garage used to put Molyslip in the engine at service time - as it was thought to prolong gearbox life.

Does everyone here use Fully synthetic oil in their Saabs then ?

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
I think I read recently that you must not use synthetic oil in Saab gearboxes. Can someone clarify?

I have always used Mobil1 fully synthetic oil for the engines in my turbocharged Saabs.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Certainly, it is recommended to use engine oil in the 9000 manual gearbox, which must not be synthetic. Near the end of 9000 production, Saab introduced a synthetic transmission fluid for the 9000 manual transmission (and probably others too) and it is, in fact, recommended for the last of the 9000 manual transmissions ('97-on?) due to a change in design in those transmissions. It can also be used in earlier 9000 gearboxes, but must not be mixed with engine oil so requires flushing. However, this synthetic transmission fluid is not the same as synthetic engine oil.

I'm told that using synthetic engine oil in a 9000 manual transmission will make gearchanges crunch like mad because the synthetic oil is too "slippery" for the synchros to work properly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.