Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I managed to get a couple of hours free this afternoon (well it would have been if work hadn't called 8 times).

I finally got to fit a replacement poly gearbox bush for my cut/sawn up one.

Just have left the front engine dogbone to do (and very possibly the front front wishbones).

And then the Carly will be done.

Also, does anyone know how easy it is to drill out rubber?

I'm wondering if I could remove the rubber inner of the Aero's Gearbox bush with a Dack and Blecker drill while the alloy ring/bush is still fitted?

Andrew

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
The trick to drill or cut rubber is to do it underwater. That way the surfaces are always lubricated. You could try other lubricants, but you will need lots as it has to get to the cutting surface instantly as well as all along the knife / drill surface.

For drilling I would think a hand drill with a wood bit would be better than a fast electric on the rubber. That way you won't be at risk of tripping the RCD (or electrocuting yourself if you havent got one
).

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I cut the front end rear wishbone butterfly bushes out with a stanley knofe and a fairy liquid bottle of water.

I was hoping a HSS drill would make a nice neat cut. then again it may melt the rubber....

hadn't thought about wood bits though.

Andrew

1 - 3 of 3 Posts