Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just ordered a boost guage and pod from those very nice people at Elkparts. Ideas for what to do with it are welcome - keep it clean!!

My thoughts are to mount it on the A pillar -

How about hose routing - don't want to dismantle too much of the dash area (too many things to go wrong if disturbed)

How do I attach the pod - will the trim be strong enough? or do I need to put a backing piece in?

Suggestions?

Cheers

Alyn

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
a-pillar is a popular choice on other cars however the a-pillar is covered with a removeable trim piece which allows you to take the top of the dash off (essential ) if you do this then it will make this akward....
most people at the track day had fitted the pod on top of the dash (lots of space) and routed the cable/tube from the back of the dash...
the back of the dash has a flexi seal which accomodates this no prob...
I fitted mine on the top of the dash just beside the rhs speaker ..the classic '99' position and imho looks good there
As to attaching simply put a t piece in the tube going to the boost gauge in the dash...

good luck

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I was going to fix mine to the A pillar, then I thought about the top of the dash, then I thought about using one of the DIN slots with a couple of extra gauges. Well in the end I fitted three extra gauges (oil temp & pressure + volts) into the C900 and only use the turbo gauge in the 9000 to check things from time to time. I attach it to the spare nipple on the back of the inlet manifold, run the hose through the door frame and tape the gauge to the dash. Not pretty and not permanent but it works just to test things.

As yours is an LPT it won't have a dash gauge hose to tap into but the nipples for that hose are in the bulkhead.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have gone the A pillar route.

Fed the tubing (used blue Elk silicone cos it threads through easier) through bulkhead where rear wash wipe goes through.

2 questions

1 where is the easiest take off for lighting? - I would like to keep the dimmer function if possible.

2 What readings should I be getting on a 2.3 stg 1?

Alyn

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
This is what the 1.5 bar callibrated VDO gauge looks like on the A piller of the 9000.

If you also bought the VDO Pod (they are sold seperate usually).. you'll find that actually there isn't any place for a back light on the gauge.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its a speedparts 1.5 bar guage and pod - there are two bulbs in this one. Cant take a pic cos some low life in work borrowed our camera and didn't return it .......Teachers eh!

Alyn

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took the feed from the supply to the illumination in the light switch - earth to one of the dash mounting bolts.

Had to stay up till dark to check it out - works well and dims with the panel light dimmer -
result

Alyn

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I don't think Yahoo allow links to the photos...

Still haven't fitted mine in the 9000 but the auxiliary gauges I fitted in the C900 work a treat.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
I can see it. Looks

Think I prefer the black dial to the white, but the white might be better to see at speed / night?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The gauge is from Elkparts and it lights up a nice blue colour with an orange needle. I have 2 spare clock inserts so modifying this one wasn't an issue from a replacement point of view.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts