Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have only ever owned 2.0 litre saabs of various forms and have very recently aquired a 2.3 cd carly however i am not to sure of exactly how it should feel under boost except of course
and also whether it is performing as it should so my next question is (strange as it may seem) is there any kind folk out there who would take my car for an adaptation run and show me how to make any necessary adjustments or at least if this is not an option any ideas how much a garage would charge me. i am in the northwest thanks guys

·
Registered
765 Posts
An adaptation run
, is where your car's engine management system learns / set's itself up to your car. It requires a long road, the breaking of the law "on public roads" , you need to engage 3rd gear at 1500rpm and accelerate up to 5000rpm, this needs to be done several times, this should help, Bill J'S site shows how to set-up your base boost.

HTH Haggag01

·
Registered
360 Posts
Apart from driving in the prescribed manner, you don't have to do anything!
The ECU learns and adjusts all by itself. There are no indications that anything has actually happened, but after the runs you should find there is full boost and power when you ask for it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Trionic engine management system are adaptive and adjust themselves over a period of time to the demands placed on the engine by the driver.

So basically, if a little old lady drives a 9000 aero around, in a little old lady fashion, then the engine management system will gradually adjust the fuelling and performance of the engine to 'match' her driving style.

So, over time, the performance of a car can drop off and an adaption run will allow the system to be reset quickly, without having to thrash the car for weeks until the ECU re-adapts to either a change in driving style, or any modifications that have been made to the engine.

I'm sure that the full re-adaption procedure will be detailed somewhere on the site.
As I undertstand it you need to remove the power supply to the ECU for a while. I also read that removing the postive lead from the battery and tapping it three times on the terminal does the same thing( I would research this method further before trying it)

You then need to take the engine under full load between 2500 and 3500 rpm, the particularly important part being that between 2750 and 3250 rpm which has to take more than three seconds.

Like most later 9000's, my car is highly geared & the only way I've found to do this and keep anywhere within site of the speed limit is to find a long hill and use 3rd gear and a touch of handbrake if required to maximise the amount of time the engine spends within the stated rev range.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have an auto so that the required sequence for a proper adaption is next to impossible on the roads. I have found however, that a good thrash up our local steep hill (dual carriageway) two or three times, does the trick - even without pulling the fuse first.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Stu,
As stated if it's not Trionic then it doesn't adapt, so it's all down to whether or not you have a fault with the ECU or any of it's sensors (as to how much
you have). As a rough guide, as long as you have the correct boost pressure (try a graduated boost gauge connected to the intake manifold and you should have around 1 bar boost) you'll probably have the correct
!

Nick.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
The Haynes Diagnostic Fault Codes Manual claims that the systems are adaptive. Doesn't differentiate between the Trionic, Lucas 14U, Motronic or Bosch LH.

Given that these systems (other than Trionic, obviously) are fitted to plenty of other cars that are described as "adaptive" why are they being claimed as not being here? Is it because there only exists a "Trionic Adaption Run" procedure?

David.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.