Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking forward to receiving and installing my Speedparts Stage 1 ECU very shortly. I am quite anxious about carrying out the several adaptation runs required in order to install the ECU. I don't want to sound like a sissy but I am really worried about reaching speeds of over 100mph which could result in me losing my licence. I have read in a previous post that it could be beneficial to allow the ECu to adapt to your own driving style rather than tricking it into adapting at high speeds. The crux of my question is whether avoiding the adaptation run will have a negative effect on the performance of the new ECU.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
If you carry the run out on a steep uphill road in say third gear, you should be able to carry it out without going illegal.
The important part is that the engine is under full throttle between 2500-3500rpm and it takes at least 3 secs to cover this rev range. This should be easily achievable in third uphill.

Nick.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Adaptation still needed if looking for peak performance - I occasionally floor mine in third up a long hill dual carriageway but realistically the ECU will adapt to your driving style anyway, so unless you go about your 'daily' business at WOT will adapt itself back overtime - a quick re-boot so to speak will gee it up again.

Mike

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Yes, Peter, you've got it wrong, there. You need to adapt to get max performance or drive it for quite a long time. I'm sure someone will explain how Trionic works as it is far to complicated for me to understand.

·
Registered
382 Posts
when i received my maptun ecu, i thought it was a plug and play situation. i had all the performance there, from the first time i drove the car. i thought the ecu came with different boost levels etc, so i dont understand why it would need an adaptation run.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Originally posted by Jason (Mr Torque-Steer):
[qb] QUOTE
Originally posted by Ian Wigg:
[qb] Does the same thing apply to standard ecu's? [/qb][/b]
Only the Trionic or APC ECU's on the 2.0 and 2.3 turbo's, your V6 will use a different ECU unless I'm much mistaken. [/qb][/b][/quote]The V6 uses a Motronic ECU just wondering if it's adaptive in the same way. I know it's adaptive in the sense of, if you clear it, it will learn the new application i.e after the 3.0L was installed.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
 . i thought the ecu came with different boost levels etc, so i dont understand why it would need an adaptation run.  [/b]
It does Pete but in order to maximise these parameters you need to adaptation run to speed things up - will adapt to your style of driving over a period of time anyway whethre you drive fast or slow - a bit like re-chargeable batteries that build in a memory to themselves if they are not fully dis-charged before re-charge.
To wipe an 'old' memory you just pull the fuse for a bout 20 mins and re-adapt.

Mike

Mike

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Actually, from what I have been told by Hirsch is that the ECU will re-adapt quicker when kept powered and a simple adaptation run is performed. They also said that for everyday fuel economy and such, the ECU also adapts, so when you do a complete re-boot as you are talking about, the ECU has to relearn everything again.

In my experience, they are correct. I had two times over the last few years where a bad tank of gas caused the ECU to back the boost off to base settings and therefore, little power. Both times, once I had some good gas in the car, a simple adaptation run up the autobahn restored boost and power back to normal.

So, personally, I don't see the need to pull the fuse to reset the ECU. I just give it some WOT for a while and it works great.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I would agree with Eric.

I have cut power to the ECU and done adaptation run with no great effect.

However when I was in Germany and the car was being driven very hard for a few days there was noticably more boost and I experienced my first ever overboost cutout.

Therefore driving very hard in good quality fuel might be the best way for the ECU to adapt.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
 So, personally, I don't see the need to pull the fuse to reset the ECU  [/b]
Sorry for the confusion guys - have to say I do not pull the fuse either - just quoting from BillJ's procedure for the Trionic 9000 - see links at bottom of page. I guess some people do and some don't.

Mike

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Andyvo - you should get away with a quick haul up the 62 towards Saddleworth in 3rd or more likely 4th, shouldn't take you into 3 figures (or if so not too far to be really silly). If you pick a quiet time & watch out for plod on the downhill side...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the advice guys! Yeah, I'll probably do what you suggest Fliptop and do a quick run up the M62.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Peter,

The ECU (regardless of running an uprated map or not) constantly adjusts engine parameters through driving. It adjusts for the amount of oxygen in the air, how clean the exhaust gasses are, if it detects knock, how hot it gets, the octane of the fuel etc..

Obviously an uprated map has slightly moved the bar on those safety values.. i.e. it assumes the car won't be run on 91 Octane.. or perhaps even 95 octane anymore.. or that more oxygen will be delivered to it (i.e. new sports filter or bigger turbo).

Because certain other performance bits, like a big intercooler or a nice fat downpipe keep temperatures at bay - the car can run at lower temps which affects knock - more oxygen in the mix - thus the ECU can add more fuel (which is determined by that uprated mapping...)

So indeed.. at the very point that ECU is plugged in - all the safety variables (while the bar, the cut off point of the variables - may be higher now..) are set at default, at the safe end.

Then as you switch the car on.. the ecu starts to play with the variables.. adjusting things forward, finding the optimum performance versus clean driving point.

But there is a way to accelerate the process of the car finding the optimum performance point.. and that's the fabled adaptation run. This isn't just something that you have to do with Saabs.. most cars have adaptive ECUs... and adaptation runs work with them too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts