Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I've got a 9000 CSE 2ltr Auto (1995 Nreg) 65K.
The other day I noticed that I could smell a burning oil smell inside the interior, apparently coming in through the air vent on the passenger side.

I could see nothing in the engine bay (leaks) from any of the fluid systems, but obviously is was coming from somewhere. I wondered if it was a splash/leak/drip, but have found nothing. I shut off the climate control and the recirculating air, but of course it still finds its way in.

The car has full service history, leaves no ugly stains on the driveway, has nice clean oil in the engine and gearbox. The smell is like 'dirty oil' or an old oil smell.

Anybody come across anything like this before, or got any ideas to try?
Best regards
Phil

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi there,

That sounds very much like a similar problem I had last year. Turned out that the crankcase breather pipe had come adrift from where it pushes in to the top of the cam cover.
Clearly visible just above the DI casssette. If not there, then possibly a leak some where else on the breather pipework.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Hi
Assuming it is a turbo, it could also be the NRV in the breather hose. When mine went I found that oil mist from the turbo pressurising the crankcasewas covering the oil filler cap and the area around. It also made the standard slight oil leak from the RH side of the head worse. All much better with the breather/NRV unit replced. (NB the 9-5 unit is stronger, cheaper and comes with pipes, although they need adjustment).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both; Saabman67 and AlanG for your comments.

You're right AlanG, it is a turbo, dumb of me that I didn't mention it.
Anyway, I will check out both of your suggestions and post a reply back here when it's checked and/or sorted.
Perhaps it will benefit other saab drivers.
regards
Phil

·
Registered
191 Posts
Turned out that the crankcase breather pipe had come adrift from where it pushes in to the top of the cam cover.
Clearly visible just above the DI casssette.[/b]
Hi,
I had a similar concern only a short while ago. The oil smell didn't penetrate into the cabin, but whenever I lifted the bonnet it was clearly evident. It turned out to be the pipe, incorporating the NRV, which had, presumably because of the heat generated by its location, become hard and brittle. When I removed it, it fell apart at the ends where it connected onto the manifold/NRV/cam cover. I replaced it with new sections & everything is tickerty-boo again.

It's worth a check on your vehicle.

Jack

·
Registered
153 Posts
I was only going to post something up on this, i get a tiny spattering of oil from the filler cap on the false bulkhead and yes - the leak on the side is worse at the moment glad it's nothing terminal

Thanks Guys,
Glenn

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone who helped with this one.
The answer, it would seem, is to replace all the mini hoses that have anything to do with the turbo system.
Including the one that goes through the bulkhead to your turbo dial, though you may get away with just replacing up to the connector, as the interior pipe doesn't seem to rot like the pipe in the engine compartment.

Hope there are enough keywords here for others to find this thread, because it seems it is a usual problem with older saabs.
Not unreasonably, as mine is a good 10yrs old.

Thanks again
Phil

1 - 7 of 7 Posts