Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

i've just bought a 9000cd and the accelerator is incredibly stiff and does not smoothly push down but seems to go down incrementlly in stages, seemingly catching on something.
i've checked and double checked everything, the cable is fine - its seems to be in the steel rods which go throught to the passsenger side???

a real mystery?
anyone have any clues or ideas on this one?

thx
Gyro

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have exactly the same symptoms on my MY94 CS. I have eliminated the Auto kickdown cable, the throttle is smooth when moved by hand, and when not connected to the throttle, the cable runs freely from the pedal.

I'm stumped too.

My only guess is that when under tension it's being gripped somewhere - the cable does go through 180' from the bulkhead and then 90' round to the throttle, I wonder if it's being pinched.

A job for the weekend I think. Let me know if you find something before I do!

R

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
had a good look at it and i still can't work this out. the cable seems to move freely when disconnected - is it possible for this to grab when the spring puts pressure on it??

and i also disconnected the spring on the passengers side, inside the car and no difference

perplexed
gyro

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Could be that the lining of the sleeve (nylon?) has worn through to the metal in forming a groove. Pressure on - cable inner sits in groove and rubs metal to metal. Pressure off - the cable runs free in an oversize hole.

Just a guess but it's all I can think of.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Originally posted by sgould:
[qb]Could be that the lining of the sleeve (nylon?) has worn through to the metal in forming a groove.  Pressure on - cable inner sits in groove and rubs metal to metal.  Pressure off - the cable runs free in an oversize hole.

Just a guess but it's all I can think of. [/qb][/b]
Yea, thats happened to me before with bike's and cars, although maybe it's not the case here but like you say, just a thought!!.

·
Registered
92 Posts
sgould, I think you are onto something - I took off the cable at the throttle end. There is a 90' bend there. The outer sleeve is rusted inside and the cable runs in a white nylon sleeve as you indicated. By messing about I saw that the cable has worn through the nylon sleeve.

I oiled it as a stopgap and it's a little better, I suspect the same might have happened in the 180' bend in front of the batt.

New cable needed I guess. Oh well.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey
managed to solve the accelerator problem:
it was catching in the section where it goes 90' round to the throttle inside the engine - i could see this when i unhooked the engine end and firmly held onto it while someone else pushed down on the accelerator pedal

to fix i:

1 unhooked the cable (motor end)
2 unscrewed a black section off
3 pulled back the white nylon sleeve and
4 squirted some oil and grease down there and now it runs like a saab!!

gyro

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've got the same problem as gyro, but in my case, the oiling of the nylon-sheath is only a short term fix. I really need a new cable.

So, the question is:

How do I get the old cable out? Haynes is useless in this area!

The car is a MY94 CS 2.0LPT Auto. I know how to:
- Take the throttle cable off the throttle mechanism
- How to unclip the the 90' bend
- How to unhook the cable inside the car by the throttle pedal lever on the left side of the car.

What I don't know is how to extract the whole cable now. I'm guessing that there is some kind of anchor between the false bulkhead and the cabin (is this what's called 'in the aquarium'?), but I havn't had a chance to look yet.

Anybody know how to extract it completely?

Ta! R

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes i will have to do the same as after an intial success the accelerator is stiffening up again. grease and oil temporarly improve it but obviously there must be a groove worn in the white inner cable

i will have to follow your lead Speccy.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.