Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the manual with my 1996 aero, on cold starts the defroster setting is meant to come on (with low initial fan speed) and with heated screen. Well the rear door blower comes on as does the top led meaning the defroster function butt acc never seems to start the heated rear window as it is supposed to although it will come on if I press the button or again depress the defrost setting. It doesn't indicate a fault code so I'm not sure if this is curable. Any ideas anyone>

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Mine doesn't even go to defrost unless I press button and then the rear screen heater comes on as well. Maybe -3C isn't cold enough?!!
A previous 9000 with ACC automatically went to defrost when the temperature was low but I can't recall the rear screen heater switching in, but that was a much older car.

·
Registered
413 Posts
My heated rear screen comes on on my '92 9000, depending on ambient temperature. It certainly has been recently.
I don't know if the '96 is the same, but it is possible to alter the settings of the acc for 'user preferences'. It may be that the rear screen heater can be set not to come on. Don't remember the procedure, but it will be in the handbook.
Failing that it's not awefully hard to press the button is it? ;>)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Solved the problem. Mine, and presumably JD's was programmed to start in ECON mode. ie with the A/C compresor off. De-programming it, by pressing OFF and <> simultaneously, has restored it's normal operation. This morning at -4C it automatically switched to defrost with rear screen heater on at start up. Like you say it is easy to press the button but I don't like a mystery.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Derek but when I switch on, mine comes on auto anyway and when its cold the defrost led is lit ( but hrw led not). Anyway, this evening I'll de programme it and see what happens

·
Registered
706 Posts
Does anyone know how to stop the rear door fans from coming on?

My ACC does everything right, i.e. it defrosts when necessary (at least it turns on at low temps, even if not needed!) switches from recirculating air etc, the only part i don't need is the rear door vents coming on.

Skiddins

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Good question!!

Their is a button on the ACC panel (just below - or above - the recirculation button from memory!) which turns the rear door fans off.

BUT mine failed ON two months ago, and I can't get them to turn off, which is annoying.

I posted a thread on this bulletine board a month ago, but no answers were forthcomming.

From cct diagrams I have found on the web, the fans are controlled directly by the ACC unit, but no ACC fault is reported when I run the self check.

I was hoping it was a faulty relay, but this looks doubtful.

If you have the same problem I look forward to any further suggestions from anyone.

You can pull the fuse (no 17, or theirabouts) but this turns off the ACC altogether and cuts the control panel off too - so no use!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
You could always unplug the motors inside the doors until you get a better fix.
With regard to the rear screen heater coming on automatically, as I said yesterday after de-programming mine did yesterday morning (and this morning) but last night after the car had sat for about 3 hours only the defrost came on. I reckon that the screen heater only comes on if the cabin temp is low enough.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Derek,
I'm not keen to take the door panel off to get to the window fan motors, but maybe next summer I'll attemot it without damaging the screw hole caps, etc.

Another point on ACC:
When the font screen only button (top right) is pressed, this should put on the rear demist and rear door blowers, and put the fan on high... AND ALSO PUT THE AIR-CON ON.

But the 'Auto' light doesn't come on, and there is no indication that the AIR-CON is on! (One of the many reasons I prefer the manual controls with AC instead of ACC).

The only reason the AIR-CON doesn't come on in this situation, (and also in auto mode), is when the outside tempreture is about 3C, in order to prevent ice forming on the cooler unit and causing damage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.