Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

Have the ACC on my 9000 which is giving the following symptoms:

If I set the temperature to 17 degrees C, warm air gently comes from the vents, making the car too warm. If I switch to LOW then ice cold air comes through until I have to turn the fan down or go back to 17 degrees, ie its like having all or nothing - hot (not that hot) or feezing.

Yesterday I was stuck in traffic for a while and the outside air temperature reading went up from 16 degrees(about right) up to 30 degrees. This made the ACC start blowing nicely chilled air, which was great until I got moving again and the temperature eventually dropped back down to 16 degrees, then it was warm air again....when it should have been cool.

General observations:

The gas seems topped up,(certainly very chilly when on the LOW setting).

The inside cabin air extractor was clogged with dust and noisy, I have taken it our cleaned the dust away and sprayed a little WD40 which has made it quiet. It definately is turning when the ACC is on.

The outside temp reading seems accurate when compared to my garden thermometer.

If I run the re-calibration check (ie auto plus bottom right arrows) on the ACC it doesn't come up with any error codes.

The cabin air filter was extremely clogged but I have hoovered it.

Does anyone have any ideas, apart from taking it to a main dealer

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Just because the self check shows no faults does not mean that everything is OK. A friend had a similar problem which turned out to be a bad cabin temperature sensor. Not bad enough to register as a fault, but bad enough to not control the temperature properly. Try changing it with a known good one, if you can borrow one.

Alternatively, the servo motor or linkage may be damaged or sticking. You should be able to see it move in the heater box behind the engine, as you vary the set temperature. However as you are getting really cold air on LOW, my suspicion is the cabin temp sensor. It's about £50, so best to try a swap first.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I had this on the CDE.

The car would start cool, and slowly warm up and up (unless on lo).

It was the little vent fan/thermistor arrangement behind the steering wheel rim that had failed (well the fan wasn't going round).

Replace with a 2nd hand one and all was well for another 5 years.

Andrew

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
on the 9000 between the engine bay and windscreen there is a false bulk head with 10mm nuts. Undo them an the panel should lift out revealing on the right side (as you sit in the seat), a small box with a screw fastening which contains the cabin air filter. New replacement is about £20 from www.eurocarparts.com or Saab original about £30.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Mark B:
[qb]... which turned out to be a bad cabin temperature sensor.  Not bad enough to register as a fault, but bad enough to not control the temperature properly. [/qb][/b]
You were right, problem now cured. Cost £35 from 2 Stroke 2 Turbo.

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts