Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a few problems with the ACC in my 9000 - Driving home last night I had to push it up to 28C before I got it to actually pump warm air into the car. I have tried the re-callibrate but it only seemed to take about 2 seconds... Any suggestions as to what I can try next?

Steve

·
Registered
183 Posts
Check (as a matter of urgency) that you have sufficient coolant in the system. It's the hot coolant that heats the cabin. No heat could be due to no coolant. No coolant can mean an expensive repair. Especially if the engine seizes!!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Have I just learnt something new?!?

Surely the 'Heater Matrix' (heated with radiator system fluid) is what heats the air even on an ACC system. The Air-conditioning pump is used to only 'cool' or 'dehumidify' the air, not warm it.

If hot air is not comming through, maybe the water level is low in the radiator system (check expansion tank), or perhaps heater actuator control is faulty?

·
Registered
183 Posts
The A/C cools & the heater get's it's heat from the flowing hot coolant. That was why I said to check the coolant level.

You can still run the A/C with warm air flowing into the cabin though. The A/C system isn't just for cooling. It's great to use the A/C with the heater to more speedily remove condensation from the windows during the Winter months.

You mentioned in your post that you were struggling to get heat into the cabin. Check your coolant level first.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Your first post states that you are struggling to get heat into the cabin. Your last post states the contrary?? You've lost me here!!

So you're NOT struggling to get heat into the cabin?

You're going to have to be a bit more specific on this one.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I put the ACC to 24 degrees then the car does not get warm... the ACC decides to keep the temperature lower than it really is. If I turn the scale right upto the max then the heat comes in and the cabin gets warm.. if I then turn it back down to 24 it blasts cold air into the cabin.

SO... I have the heat there but the ACC decides not to give it to me... unless I turn the temperature a long way up (which is what I said in my first post).

Steve

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Steven,you and I are in the same boat.first thing to check is the cabin heat sensor,it is under the seat heater switches,the cover can be taken off and any dust and fluff carefully removed,turn the ignition on and check the little fan in the sensor is spinning,if all ok and still no heat the next thing is the air temp sensor,if it is mounted behind the bumper,as some are,then it can become dislodged,if not behind bumper it i=s in the heater plenum,in front of the front bulkhead,I don't know how to check that one,it might be worth finding someone with a good system and borrowing a sensor to check against yours,the same goes for the acc control unit,thats as far as I have got,I am now looking for the samariton with a working system,failing that its a main dealer and a computer diagnose.
Best of luck

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As the trip computer reports sensible values for the outside temperature I would suspect my air temp sensor is fine.

I may have a look at it this afternoon - it must be a sensor as the ACC actually does what it is supposed to do.. just at the wrong temperatures.

Steve

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I carefully removed the cover from the internal air sensor and once I had removed the dead spider I found something that was very very furry!!

So I took a small paint brush to it and cleaned it all down.... and it seems to be working a bit better... like it started blowing warm air at 20C... I cant tell if the little fan is running... I might look at that next weekend if things aren't any better during the week.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Sorry, 900016T: When you refered to 'coolant' in your first sentance, I assume dyou were refering to ACC coolant. So I totally agreed with you.

Stephen A: It would appear that the little fan is running, if cleaning out the fluff has improved the correct air tempreture setting. A non-working fan on the air temp sensor device would have the same effect as one which is blocked by fluff. i.e. lack of airflow = incorrect cabin tempreture measurement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts