Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

ACC doesn't blow

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  madnutter 
#1 ·
Hi guys

As the title says the ACC on my sons 97 aero auto doesn't seem to work properly.

All lights work on it and it doesn't seem to throw up any fault codes.

If you raise temp the lights move up or down to corresponding direction it wants to send warm air. If you drop the temp then again it changes to where it thinks best for cold air i.e. vents.

When doing this there is however no air movement or the slightest hint of fan noise i.e. static

If you drive along and change temp there seems to be no difference in the temp of the rammed air.

When stationary and you turn temp down quite a way you can hear the click of the compressor coming in to play but still no air temp change or fan.

Any brillaint ideas as to whats going on? Could it just be a connection to the fan although why wouldn't it pass variable air temp through using the ram air when driving?

HELP please and does this sound v expensive????

See less See more
#4 ·
I've had probs with my cabin fan not blowing in the past.

If your blower motor isn't working, it could be a faulty fan speed controller, or as in my case, a burnt out connector to the blower motor.
Others have had problems with a relay or even a dead motor (search button should help you here).

I'd check out your blower connector first. Just remove the aquarium (plastic trim along bottom of windscreen).. the blower motor is the big black plasic thing in the middle..
Unplug the connector going to it. If you can't get it off, or if it's obviously burnt / charred then that may be your problem.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

#9 ·
Well i don't think we need bother about acc fan

Last night my son was driving along Norwich southern bypass and all of sudden ping ping ping ping then slowing down a large bang loads of smoke and clatter under the car. He opened the bonnet and the turbo was glowing red and actually flamed for a moment but being dark he couldn't see much else.

Had it recovered this morning (amazingly still with the deep dish alloys still on car) and theres a hole the size of a tennis ball just down to the left of the turbo!!!!!!

Just an assumption but this sounds to me as though timing chain bust with first noise being pistons hitting valves and then bang. Lovely bent dipstick!

Anyone any ideas on cost of replacing engine? or better to scrap.

The car has hardly marked aero interior with electric seats, koni adjustable shocks all round, carlsson deep dish alloys with a tiny mark on one shod with bridgestone turanza virtually new tyres. No rust on bodywork with just a couple of dents really. Auto gearbox now seems ok (well before bang).

Any ideas guys. It was a lovely car and I somehow think the guy who sold it knew this was due as engine oil looked very new and seemed quite thick compared to my 9-5 aero oil..........

#13 ·
hi there i had the same problem with my saab 9 5 and it was down to the heater moter common problem so i was told. it is located at top of heater box. to acces i had to remove both wiper arms and the black plastic trim below the window screen there is then another plastic cover in the center remove this and you can see the top of the heater box there are 2 10mm nuts and another plastic trim. then there is just the cover that covers the motor 4 8mm screws and the cover is off and the heater moter just sit's in a channel it is akward to get the moter out but overall quite an easy job.
i have done this job a few times now. once on the saab i have now and twice on the last saab i had. i can do it in about 30 mins so not to bad a job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.