Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you for allowing me to join! I am NOT a car person, so go easy on me! I have a 2008 9-3 sedan. Lately, when I start the car, the AC comes on blowing cold air (well more like cool, actually), and with the recycle on. Then after a few minutes, or even a few seconds, the air becomes warm, and the recycle turns off. After that, no amount of button pushing will help. If I turn the car off and on again, the same thing happens. The cold air used to last longer before it turned off, but now it only lasts a short time. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Administrator
5,122 Posts
when was the last time the system was recharged..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We used one of those cans of coolant in the past few days. It took about half a can.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We have the same on each start, all hell breaks loose. But we can turn it down/off. Curiously is the AC off when you press the button and get a green light or when the light is off the AC is off?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have the same on each start, all hell breaks loose. But we can turn it down/off. Curiously is the AC off when you press the button and get a green light or when the light is off the AC is off?
I'm not sure which button you mean. The auto button? or the recycle button?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you for allowing me to join! I am NOT a car person, so go easy on me! I have a 2008 9-3 sedan. Lately, when I start the car, the AC comes on blowing cold air (well more like cool, actually), and with the recycle on. Then after a few minutes, or even a few seconds, the air becomes warm, and the recycle turns off. After that, no amount of button pushing will help. If I turn the car off and on again, the same thing happens. The cold air used to last longer before it turned off, but now it only lasts a short time. Any ideas? Thanks.
You need to check your high side and low side pressure to confirm the correct amount of refrigerant is in the system. Confirm your AC compressor is engaging when you turn on the AC. There needs to be a minimum amount of refrigerant for the AC compressor to engage. You can confirm existing amount of refrigerant by doing a Static check of the AC pressure with a Manifold gauge set. Typically at least 70 PSI on both sides at 70 degrees F and 70 percent humidity. Buy a refrigerant can with a gauge built in if you don't have a gauge set, connect to LOW SIDE PORT on car AC system. Start the vehicle and bring to normal operating tent, turn on AC and confirm compressor is engaging , open valve on refrigerant can and allow refrigerant to flow out of can into your AC system, USE ONLY HOSE THAT CONNECTS TO LOW SIDE PORT OF AC. Monitor pressure on can gauge and fill until pressure about 35 to 45 PSI on this low side port, confirm PSI requirements with Saab specs. Put AC buttons , fan speed low , recurculation off. When you are at required fill status, compressor will cycle on and off normally.

Good luck.

Dr. Saab

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You need to check your high side and low side pressure to confirm the correct amount of refrigerant is in the system. Confirm your AC compressor is engaging when you turn on the AC. There needs to be a minimum amount of refrigerant for the AC compressor to engage. You can confirm existing amount of refrigerant by doing a Static check of the AC pressure with a Manifold gauge set. Typically at least 70 PSI on both sides at 70 degrees F and 70 percent humidity. Buy a refrigerant can with a gauge built in if you don't have a gauge set, connect to LOW SIDE PORT on car AC system. Start the vehicle and bring to normal operating tent, turn on AC and confirm compressor is engaging , open valve on refrigerant can and allow refrigerant to flow out of can into your AC system, USE ONLY HOSE THAT CONNECTS TO LOW SIDE PORT OF AC. Monitor pressure on can gauge and fill until pressure about 35 to 45 PSI on this low side port, confirm PSI requirements with Saab specs. Put AC buttons , fan speed low , recurculation off. When you are at required fill status, compressor will cycle on and off normally.

Good luck.

Dr. Saab
Wow. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,072 Posts
Those cans you get from any motor factors only connect to the low side and are measuring from the low side ,they are not measuring from the high side ,so you don't know how much gas you are really putting in , you could be putting in too much or too little.
Either way over here you are required by law to be F gas registered.
So joe bloggs down the road cannot touch an air conditioning system FULL STOP!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts