Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped at traffic lights, yesterday I heard a loud puffff out of eingine apartment... and then a smell of .... well... let's say [expletive deleted]... but as old VW stood alongside me I thought it wasn't my car, and forgot about it. But then stopping at Shell for refueling I suddenly remembered (recognized) that smell - I opened the eingine apartment, and... yes, even not surprising me, all that were there were as green as hell The damn luminiscently green freon oil!!!
Ok, I cleaned up a bit, and drived away, also noticing that cooling performance was even improved
! So the yesterday goes away, and today's morning comes, with a new surprise.
A few minutes (~3-5) after starting eingine the history repeats - the same purrrfff and smell, but now with squeaking and high load on eingine in addition... I shut off eingine immediately, then started again, but now looking at AC compressor and waiting if it repeats. It repeats. First I noticed the compressor seems to be overheating as some vapour goes off of it, and then again dump off from the dump valve on compresor. I set ACC to OFF after then....
Yesterday I also noticed a water dropping out from bottom of false bulkhead (if I remembered right the name of that piece of space closed by cover and not easy accesible, near the front windscreen). I suppose it was just condensate, or isn't?

Any solutions, suggestions references are very velcome as temp outside is around 28 degrees Celsium, and I NEED TO DRIVE

Best Reg
Dzintars
9000CS23T

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update....
I was on SAAB garage this afternoon. At the first they said they have no free lifters, and electrician is out of order today as well. Nice...
As I have friends in local 'York' I talked to them also. And had been answered that the problem was almost 100% caused by overpresure, which is almost 100% caused by overtemp. Every of such freezers must have pressure (NOT TEMP) sensor, which is responsible for starting up vent, when the pressure (~10-12Atm) (assuming alongside with temp) goes upwards, they said. So the conclusion was that there must be TWO sensors responsible for starting the vent.
And here I could return to the talk at garage - They said - Yes there is some other sensor which is (in my case already NOT) doing that. It is located on far end (right) wing in front of so called accumulator (screwed into it) - device which is accumulating freon after it is returned from blower. The place is not very easy accessible, but the sensor as well as accumulator could be seen from the top.
Method of testing: The vent should start almost immediately after starting the eingine as the temp on the 'hot end' of the AC compressor rises very quickly, assuming the pressure does the same, and go off (vent) almost immediately after ACC is set to OFF. In my case it doesn't, and only goes on and of as eingine temp rises or falls.
Solution, temporay: The vent relay (low revs) contacts should be shorted forcefuly, when driving, to keep the vent blowing all the time. Thus I had to open relay box (in front of accu - near end (left) wing), remove, open, and then place back uncovered the relay, and then block the contacts by piece of paper before driving, then remove this piece of paper after driving. I have to repeat this !!!!
I'll keep you informed, friends, when it will be sorted. Also preparing to do some other major rebuild (incl. front susp., bushes, brake discs, pads..., may be auto box) on next or another week.

Best Reg
Dzintars
9000CS23T

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.