Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am not a mechanic but, I think I can still spot a snow job when I see one. Let me explain. My recently purchased 91 Saab 9000 Turbo lost all pressure in the clutch pedal. I had it towed to my mechanic and six days later he called to tell me I needed a new ABS Valve. The good news being (he said; seeing that Saabs are an uncommon car in the united states) he found three in the state of Pennsylvania,USA. The bad news being that a new one would cost me $3500.00 and a rebuilt one would cost me $1800.00 with a $1000.00 core charge. He then told me that I should dump the car and then offered me a $1000.00 for it . Now I don't know what to do. I asked him if he could rebuild it himself and he told me he didn't know how. I need some advice.

·
Registered
243 Posts
hii think the mechanic may moonlight as a conman
if you lost all pressure in your pedal there are only 4 things that would cause it
1, master cylinder faulty approx £45+vat
2, cluch pipe faulty £ 56+vat
3 clutch slave cylinder faulty £45 = vat
4 clutch pressure plate springs worn approx £85 + vat
these are english prices obviously to translate add 17.5% and then multiply by 1.8
would do it but knackered and just got in from work
HTH
mark

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Welcome to Saabscene.

Has your mechanic explained how the ABS system is connected to the clutch yet??

The clutch gains it's fluid from the same resisvour, but that is it, and the volume of fluid used by the clutch is tiny.

Me thinks that there is somethingfunny going on here.

Andrew

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.