Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ABS light came on last night. Did a stop & ABS definitely not working.

Light came on again this morning & went off after I had travelled for three miles & then restarted. I'm assuming that my first check should be for a loose connection somewhere. Where should I start, are there wires going to each of the wheels? If so what is the best way to check?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
It sounds like it may be just the teeth on the wheel hubs that need a bit of a clean- they can get clogged up with road dirt, making it difficult for the sensors to gain information on the rotational speed of the wheel, leading to a fault condition.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Take the wheel off. You will see a black wire coming out of the top of the hub. The sensor is held in the hub by a single bolt, which can be quite tight. Loosen the bolt and pull the sensor straight out. Treat the sensor gently, i.e. if the bolt is stuck, do not hit it! The bottom end of the sensor is steel, and will have various bits of iron debris stuck to it magnetically. Clean it all off, and then replace the sensor snuggly in the hole.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
The front sensors after removing the bolt will still be a pain to remove. Rears pop out very easily. With the fronts its a case of twisting and pulling (back and forth, back and forth for a good 10mins). Apply WD40 but be careful not to get it on the pads.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally had a go at the sensors at the weekend. Passenger one was slightly dirty - cleaned it up, put it back but ABS light still came on. Not to worry I then checked driver's side. This one was filthy & I was sure would fix the problem - alas no joy.

Symptom is that ABS light goes out after start up but comes on after a firm shove on the brake pedal.

Should I persevere & do the back wheels or is there something else I should be looking at?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Take a look to the connectors between the sensor wires and he ABS ECU (they are under the aquariom cover, one left and one right) Clean them with WD-40 or something.ù. You maybe could also ziptie the big connector attached to ECU to the ECU itself.

·
Registered
88 Posts
thx stephano

now i can see why it is called an aquarium, may be a latin or italian name

i will check my connectors as the light is always on......

thanks you guys/girls for a great resource base of knowledge of the 9000

kiaora
Guy

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Symptom is that ABS light goes out after start up but comes on after a firm shove on the brake pedal.[/b]
If its a wheel sensor then the ABS light will come on anytime. If your light always comes on after a firm shove on the brake pedal it may be due to low brake line pressure (??) so I'd take it to your local dealer and get them to pull the fault codes - if you know the dealer you may get it free ortherwise about £30

·
Registered
623 Posts
Originally posted by gyro:
[qb] may be a latin or italian name
[/qb][/b]
I don't think there'a a word to indicate this in Italian, I think that I had to say it in Italian I would refer it the "the zone at the base of the windshield". I only saw the term aquarium in English or American sites, and took me too a while to understand.

Check also if you don't have cracks or tears in the sensors cables insulation. Common where they pass through the inner wheel arches.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.