Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again
Another question regarding my 9000.....but I have been driving in the ice and snow up here recently and resorting mch more than usual to relying on the ABS. I have noticed a severer grinding/juddering noise when ever the abs is working. The pads and discs appear to be fine. Any ideas what is causing this (or is it nomal )
Kev

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it's normal it is still a little disconcerting. My first thought at the time was that my pads had worn through or that the friction material had come loose somehow. As you say though, the peddle did pulse under my foot. Is this horrible grinding sensation normal for all abs?
Kev

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wohhhhh....just had another snoop under the car in the dark with a torch. Just noticed in the torch light that there's a split in the front passenger wishbone rear rubber bush thingy. All that extra play may not have helped, what with the flexing as the abs pulsed the brakes. Didn't notice it in the day light while working on the car earlier. I presume that I might as well replace these with the polyurethane ones while I'm at it? My top driver-side engine mounts are split as well. Are these best repaced with Saab or Polyurethane mounts? Is there a difference between tyhe variuous manufactureres of the polyurethane bushes/mounts?
Questions, questions, questions
Sorry
Kev

·
Registered
341 Posts
I maybe wrong but Grinding does not sound good at all... if your sure there seems to be lots left on the brake pads then that should be ok...

Sometimes a chip of material will become loose from one of the brake pads and get wedged inbetween the disc and pad... but it should work loose... if you can identify which wheel is causing the noise then it might help. Is it a steady noise? or one that appears on/off whilst break is peddle is pressed..?

Im thinking it can be either a chip... or a warped disc...

No harm to put your mind at rest by spending some time to find out whats really going on. Can never be too cautious when it comes to brakes!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I think the collective wisdom on bushes (rubber suspension ones )
is that it is best to change the rear front butterfly wishbone bushes with poly
two choices
Abbott bushes come pre-loaded in the ally housing
jobs an easy one
Other suppliers such as elkparts supply the bush by itself and you have to faf about cutting scraping or burning
the old rubber out... couple of hours at max
changing the front front bushes can make the ride harsh as well as changing the gearbox mount bush and the two "dumbell" ones at the top of the engine
there has been much discussion on this so please do a search
all poly gives the best control but is the harshest
all rubber is comfiest but wears out quicker..
a compromise between the two seems to be the way to go
in saying this I am changing all my remaining rubber to poly (I need the control !!)

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Even just fitting replacement rubber ones will make a big difference if there's any wear in the old ones. The steering will be sharper and the car will be much more stable in a straight line at speed.

They're cheaper than poly, do come with the aluminium housings and are simple and quick to fit. However, if wheel alignment has been attempted while the bushes were worn, then it will probably be out with new bushes and will need doing again.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Kevster, I'm obviously not there to hear your 'grinding,' but it sounds to me like what you've got is just a perfectly functional ABS. When your ABS kicks in, what is happening is a sensor mounted at each brake rotor detects brake lock. Then the sensor sends a signal for the anti-lock motor to kick in, which pulses the brakes on and off, similar to what you would do manually (sp?) if you had no ABS, only the computer can do it much better and faster. This causes the brake pedal to move up and down and is the source of a sound that is much like a loud ticking or grinding. My best guess is that your ABS is working perfectly fine, you're just not used to the sound yet!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, re the abs grinding. I'll just have to drive faster and brake harder to get used to the noise .

I'll obviously have to replace the duff suspension bushes, and from what has been said it sounds like it is worth replacing them with the poly' ones while I'm at it.

The engine mounts that have split are the top/rear/right-hand side ones. I'll do a search to find out what combo' of transmission and engine mounts are best as poly' and rubber. I guess while I'm at this lot I'll change the rear anti-roll bar bushes as this seems to be recommended from looking at Bill J's www. site.
Cheers
Kev

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.