Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just back after a week in Scotland - great week for a holiday. Anyway ABS light started coming on but would reset after switching engine off and resarting, though as week progressed car had to be driven further before resarting would reset the light, now it is on all the time
I've tried looking for the plug to jump to pull the codes but can not find any suitable plug Car is a MY96 - does this need Tech II to pull the codes??

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've looked on TSN and someone there could also not find the ABS diagnostic plug to jump (on a MY93) so I assume that I do need tech II to pull the codes? Does anyone know? If not I'm going to have to take it to the dealer

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
There's no shame in taking it to a dealer for pulling the codes, resetting things, etc. Just as long as they don't charge a fortune. I paid about £20 to have teh ABS light diagnosed. Turned out to be the front right wheel sensor. It hasn't played up since, so I haven't bothered with it, but if I need to fix it, I know which one to tackle.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bill, did your light stay on? Reading Townsends it seems to suggest that if the light stays on its more serious (costly ) than a wheel sensor. Annoying thing is I have a MY90 9000 to break but I suspect the ABS parts are not interchangeable with a MY96.
And my other 9000 has a knackered alternator (being checked out as I write). Who said Saabs were reliable
Of course the alternator problem caused car to 'fail to proceed' in the middle of the narrowest road into Colne during morning rush hour. Wife was driving, she even had the police pop along to find out what was causing the traffic chaos . Naturally once said plod found out RAC were on the way he slid of back to his desk for a coffee and donout - no way was he going to get out and direct the traffic round said car.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like I'm talking to myself - not unusual, anyway I'll post this update so anyone with ABS problems can find it in future.

Info regarding pulling ABS codes on Townsends site is only for vehicles MY90-MY93 (MY88 & MY89 if you have a MY90 ABS ECU to swop in). After MY93 the ABS ECU is different there is no plug plug to jump to get the ABS light to flash the codes you need TechII. Local dealer charged me £13 to pull codes which will be refunded if they fix the problem.
Turns out my problem is no signal from rear left sensor. Eurocarparts list same part number for sensor for MY90 (have one to break) abd MY96 though Saab EPC shows different part numbers. I'll chase wiring out and change sensor if it dosnt give right voltage/resistance readings.

And yep the alternator has gone - first one in 6 Saabs that has gone (this one only done 98k miles )

·
Registered
378 Posts
Adrian, Just read your post. I seem to recall that the modern sensors can be replaced by the old type. Now, I may not have this the right way round, but, one is preset and the other?,I beleive you have to fit a spacing washer to give the correct gap. Which of which is the part I can't remember.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.