Bridgestone 205/55,16 S-03
Rear ARB poly bushes
Front wishbone poly bushes
Can't remember anything else as it's all getting too geeky

Ash

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Yeah, very nice - I'd like a ride in it sometime - I've got a 2.3T auto so I'd be interested in comparing my standard car (well poly bushes, 16 inch Aeros and no heat plate) with your Abbott tuned one

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
hey Ash - great post... and its exactly what I'm looking for in spring damper setup

I have a couple of questions if you get a moment:
1) Are the spring rates and drop amount the same as for the CS? (if you happen to know?)

2) What 'turns' have you set the koni's at front/rear?

3) How would you describe the ride/handling? (I have an aero, so the ride is already quite a lot firmer than a CD) ? I assume yours now corners quite well.

Its a **** up between these and abbott springs to go with the konis - price being the issue - and I need to make sure they are firmer than the aero springs too.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by lizard:
[qb]  how much did the abbotts ecu change the cars power and does the power come in at a later stage  
 [/qb][/b]
I've done my LPT auto - it adds 40 to get to about 210bhp or so. The difference is dramatic at all speeds, but probably most useful at motorway type speeds, where the car just doesn't lack urge to accelerate at any sane speed.

Because the auto box is mechanical the change-up points don't change. While it's fine for moderately gentle and full-bore acceleration, in between it can get a bit odd as it kicks down from 4th to 2nd and then almost immediately back to 3rd...

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by faero:
[qb]between these and abbott springs to go with the konis - price being the issue [/qb][/b]
Worth dropping Giles @ Abbott an email. The price I'm currently discussing doesn't match the Elkparts price, but is a lot lower than the website price.

The Abbott springs also don't lower the car much, and that's an advantage for me. For now, I'm sticking with standard shocks, but I'm also interesting in hearing what the ride's like with the Konis...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[qb]   how much did the abbotts ecu change the cars power and does the power come in at a later stage  
 [/qb][/b]
It made the car muh more eager to accelerate. Overtaking is now so easy, it's just point and squirt.

The power seems to be in the mid range and it tends to run out of breath above 4k rpm.

Ash

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by faero:
[qb]1) Are the spring rates and drop amount the same as for the CS? (if you happen to know?)

2) What 'turns' have you set the koni's at front/rear?

3) How would you describe the ride/handling? (I have an aero, so the ride is already quite a lot firmer than a CD) ?  I assume yours now corners quite well. [/qb][/b]
1) Don't know, sorry. I have no experience with a CS.

2) I've forgotten what the rull end-to-end turn range is but I set them at half way to match the rears which were pre-set this way before installation at Abbott.

3)It corners as if it's on rails. It doesn't lift a front corner anymore although I'm not sure I can put this down to the springs and shocks alone. I've also had several other things upgraded at the same time.

The strangest side effect that the suspension upgrade has caused is that I was sure that the engine was lacking power after the new shocks and wheels were fitted. I was so convinced of this that I went and had it rolling road tested again. It is still putting out exactly the same power and torque give or take 1 or 2. I guess it is just so stable now that the ride isn't so scary any more and feels slower.

Oh, braking sharpness has improved too. I used to have to stand on the brakes to pull the car to a stop from high speed. I seem to have to use much less effort now and it brakes as well as my Jag did. I'm still thinking of new brembo discs and pads though.

Ash

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by ballistic:
[qb]  QUOTE
[qb]    how much did the abbotts ecu change the cars power and does the power come in at a later stage    
   [/qb][/b]
It made the car muh more eager to accelerate. Overtaking is now so easy, it's just point and squirt.

The power seems to be in the mid range and it tends to run out of breath above 4k rpm.

Ash [/qb][/b][/quote]SNAP!! I'm pretty much convinced thats down to the T25, which is why i'm looking at hybrids/big turbo upgrades when my T25 bites the dust. It's only a matter of time as it's getting increasingly whistly these days.

Got to say that ALL CD's should have 16" Aero's fitted, makes the car look sooooo much better imho.

Very nice car Ash.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts