Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at the Abbott site. I have an 03 Aero manual and apart from the Abbott suspension and back box (twin 3") the car is standard.

I notice an induction pipe replacemant and altered air filter and housing.
Has anyone had experience with these item used together on seperate.

I would appreciate any expert comments.

Asgard

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have heard stories of this induction kit taking in water when driving through deep puddles. I just ordered the high flow turbo delivery pipe for my aero...should be interesting.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
 I have heard stories of this induction kit taking in water when driving through deep puddles  [/b]
I read an article some while ago whilst waiting in the dentists which referred to a 9-5(in this instance) that had suffered this problem though it said many other modern cars do also due the position of the air intake being very low to ground level - a potential inherent faults in many cars.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Yes, Abbott's own development 9-5 suffered a similar fate but survived!

I'm not familiar with the configuration of the 9-5 intake so can't comment on whether the induction kit will make it nay more or less susceptible to such problmes, but the larger delivery pipe will not have any such effect as it doesn't change the position of the intake.

Why not drop Abbott a line and ask them whether it makes it more likely to suck up water?

Note: The "deep puddles" are a little more than just "puddles". We're talking a minimum of 4-6" depth before you might encounter problems.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Not that I've a 9-5, but I do have a 2.0 lpt 9000 that has had the air intake pipe modified by Abbott (as well as an uprated filter).

No problems at all so far - only improved driveability and more &

·
Registered
258 Posts
Originally posted by PHudson:
[qb]A friend of mine wrote off his company 9-5 by driving through a flood    [/qb][/b]
How ? At worst the damage would surely have been a replacement engine ? Now that's pricey, but not five figure pricey surely ?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by Mark R:
[qb] QUOTE
Originally posted by PHudson:
[qb] A friend of mine wrote off his company 9-5 by driving through a flood       [/qb][/b]
How ? At worst the damage would surely have been a replacement engine ? Now that's pricey, but not five figure pricey surely ? [/qb][/b][/quote]Dunno (he works for a large corporate who have a lot of cars, and self-insure, so maybe their costs were different enough to make it a write off).

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
If the flood water was above the sill levels, then because of the amount of wiring etc that could have been immersed in water, plus penetration of unkown composition of water (they will assume it's contaminated/corrosive) the insurers will write it off.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Many thanks for the info. As this is a Scottish based car with the odd blast to Germany both countries famous for small falls of water and snow I think that I will give these mods a miss.
I had a good look again on the Abbott site but did not see any mention of the lowered location of the intake . A good job there is the saabscene forum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts