Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep been playing again, this time with the rears, finally got under the old girl.

When I had the struts out I was interested to see what they were set at, and guess what they were at minimum setting (nice one abbott) so for all the hundreds of pounds the previous owner spent, the suspension was poor for what it should have been, all for a little adjustment, anyway...
In our joy at how easy it was I now have 2 turns on the backs and 1.5 on the fronts.
Yes she is very toight,
The question is- will they settle down a bit, becuase she is a little on the hardcore side of things and, has any one else found a set up which seems ideal.
I am running 17"s/poly bushes/strut brace so shes never going to be smooth enough for the in-laws!!!

Cheers Dulux

·
Registered
291 Posts
This is the question, what is the right suspension set up for day to day use that you can carry passengers without scraping expensive exhausts and being too uncomfortable.I suppose what i'm trying to say is has Saab made the maximum performance to comfort set up.Just a pick up on the inlaws comment.I think abbott put them on the lowest setting as to not make to harsh a ride to quick,but if this is what you end up with,why not put them to the proper setting

·
Registered
139 Posts
What with the rise in fuel prices you could get a stage 3 upgrade:

1.Remove the back seats (Helps economy...erm. )
2.Tell the inlaws they weigh too much, and you have no room to carry them anyway..
3.Wind the fronts up to 2 as well.

Lets face it Dulux you never go any distance in your car anyway.. Quick blat here, quick blat there, back down the workshop to make a few adjustments.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I have my rears set at 1.5 and the difference between now and when I put them on is huge, so they defintitely bed in from new. (14k miles ago)
They were awful when new but now I'm at the stage of potentially increasing them a bit (now that I've got my new springs fitted)
After my rebushing, shocks, springs, brace and bolt tightening the car is utterly different. The suspension is much firmer but rides way better - bumps actually have a softer edge, not a crash.
I set the fronts to 1 turn - very good, though quite firm for new shocks.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers for the posts guys,

I think I will wait and see if they bed in, if not maybe back the rears down a touch, it is a balance between handling and ride quality.

Watch this space!!

p.s. abbott told the previous owner they were to be set at 1.5 turns?? nice......

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Fronts have bedded in a bit now - And I have set them to 1 turn (from 0.5) with the Abbotts and they are 'top banana' technically speaking.
With 3 of us in the car (none light), the car can now be driver in the throttle and float nicely between understeer/oversteer on hard corners with only a smidge of body roll and I can finally feel what's going on! hurrah.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts