Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was interested to see Abbot Racing's 'Project Aero' has their uprated springs fitted to standard shocks.

Anyone else tried this setup?

I have read before on other posts that uprated springs on standard shocks can cause 'bounce' .

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts, as this would be a cheap 'first stage' upgrade to better handling.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Originally posted by mac_xpert:
[qb] .......uprated springs fitted to standard shocks.

Anyone else tried this setup?

I have read before on other posts that uprated springs on standard shocks can cause 'bounce'        .

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts, as this would be a cheap 'first stage' upgrade to better handling. [/qb][/b]
IMOE DO NOT go for the cheap option of upgrading the springs to standard dampers. yes you will experience a better cornering ability with the springs, but even if your dampers are a year or so old they are not as good as brand new uprated dampers. Also the reduction in height of your vehicle can put even more STRESS on the dampers WHICH COULD RESULT IN A DAMPER FAILURE!.i upgraded my srings first (Eibach Pro-Kit) only to find out after a few days that the car was bouncing all over the place on undulating country roads and the car felt very unsafe as i felt i had to lift my right boot to regain control of the oscillations .Unless you are doing the fitment yourself, therefore saving valuable time and money, I would fit the springs and dampers at the same time

·
Registered
293 Posts
I just fitted heavy duty turbo springs at the rear with new Sachs sport dampers, which are similar spec to the original ones on a C900 Aero, and the handling is very good. But like Chenks says, I have heard of others fitting stiffer or lower springs and leaving the shocks who found that they had major problems, including the wheels bouncing and losing contact with the road after going over a bump which obviously makes braking a bit challenging.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have the Sach's advantage shocks on mine now Jez
- prior to this though i did have the stock 'sports' shocks which i know were in good condition and handling was great - i had a bill to say they had been changed at 120,000 miles however as the car drew nearer to 200,000 miles they started to go off so a change was neccesary and hence the Sach's shocks....
Pretty good but i have to say the Abbotts springs are nowhere near stiff enough for the car but thats another story

Pete.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I was a passenger in Maarten (900 Hirsch)'s car rounf the Nurburgring when he had fitted uprated springs but before he upgraded the dampers. The car bounced around a lot and was not well-controlled at all. The standard (probably worn) dampers just couldn't control the stiffer springs.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I have Eibach springs on my GM900ST with OE dampers - delivery mileage jobbies from Abbotts and have been using for about 9 months. I would probably agree with the comments above. Whilst ok, it is really a bit too bouncy and stiffer dampers would give a better preformance - next upgrade chaps.

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.