Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just fitted this and am very impressed with the difference it has made. Steering response is improved, and the car turns in more sharply under power- in fact it's getting very far away from "typical" FWD handling charactersitcs. It generally feels more positive on the road too.

There's a lot of other suspension mods on the car though-
Poly bushes all round
PI springs/Koni shocks
17" wheels
Front strut brace (I was the 1st! )
Rear strut brace
Limited slip diff

It may be that because everything else is tweaked that the difference that the ARB upgrade has made is more pronounced in my case, but I can certainly recommend it

It's also very easy to fit.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
NO NO NO!

Don't make me spend more money until i've sorted my timing chains and at least done the stage 1 ok?!

I've already got some catching up to do.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
sounds great mark
but I refuse to pay that for a bit of bent steel and a few ally clamps

I am going to speak to my fabricator friends

£30 should be enough methinks !!

now could it be ready for july ?????

·
Registered
416 Posts
Sounds good, but I agree with ylee, Abbott do some rather expensive items that are not worth the cash. Like this one for instance: Click Here Surely this is pretty much the same airbox and snorkel?

Mark

·
Registered
291 Posts
10 BHP, I find that hard to believe.Carbon fibre is that going to give that much benefit? apart from looks.The cost is positivly scarey.I think they should make more value for money/per gains,this way they would sell more products I'm sure.No doubt the products are good quality,but over priced IMHO

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I suppose it all depends on how you look at the cost of mods. In general, Saab mods are a lot cheaper than other premium marques.

The intake kit is a very finely honed item, and the cost no doubt reflects the work/components that go in to it. You could certainly achieve the same power gain for less money- but it wouldn't look as good.

Some folk replace parts that cost a lot of money (e.g. silicon rad hoses) but offer no real performance gain- they just look better. It's all down to personal choice.

For example, I had one of the first strut braces in the country- cost me about £130 IIRC. However the build quality isn't that fantastic and if you put it side by side with the more expensive Abbott one, it's clear which is the better made product, and if it had been available at the time, I'd have preferred the Abbott one.

Would it have made any difference to performance? Possibly as the construction is a little more substantial. Is that difference in performance in proportion to the price? No, I don't think so- but my chrome plated one is already showing signs of cracking/possible rust and I'd have paid the extra not to have that.

Getting back to the rear ARB, if I ignore the materials, and didn't actually know what had been done to the car then did a before/after drive, would I think that the cost of this particular mod is value for money in the overall scheme of things? Yes, on balance I do- it's made a significant positive effect to the handling of my car.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had a chance to play with it now in the wet and it's also reduced the tendency for both front wheels to spin (LSD). When they do though, the car is more stable in a straight line and doesn't veer off to one side as much

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Oh, that's definately on my shopping list, then. Unless someone can supply the same thing for less, that is!!

The air induction system looks like my ITG Maxogen on the Elise. Makes a worthwile improvement on that car, but little more than a DIY mod to the standard airbox, so I have been told. Same for the Saab, perhaps? Looks nice, mind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts