Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just fitted the Abbot racing gearbox bush, I notice in the instructions that the supplied that the 'flange' side of the mount should face into the engine bay.
However, I found that because of the lip that the gearbox has the mount appears to be much better suited to fitting with the flange pointing outwards towards the wheel.

Has anyone else fitted one of these and found the same?

When Fotango sort themselves out I will upload some pictures.

Skiddins

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As you proably saw from the pics, mine is the same as yours, except for smoother holes

My pics weren't from the same side as yours, because I didn't touch that wheel or the liner, just loosened the liner a bit a did it all from underneath and through engine compartment.

I have serious doubts about doing the second torque arm one though

Skiddins

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Skiddins:
[qb]I have serious doubts about doing the second torque arm one though   [/qb][/b]
What sort of doubts? I found that without the special tool, the only way to get the old one out and the new one in was to remove the bracket, which meant slackening off the drivebelt and unbolting the alternator.

Someone else (here or on another board?) managed to hack out the old bush in-situ (which I tried but didn't manage) and fitted the new bush by splitting it and fitting the halves from either side.

The other sort of doubt, of course, is what it will do to comfort levels. Like you, I left this bush until last and with the two poly bushes you have now, the car was still very quiet. As soon as I fitted that front bush, noise and vibration in the cabin increased noticeably (including exhaust noise, which must be conducted through the bush). It doesn't bother me, but the car is nowhere near as refined as it used to be.

This was with the Superflex bushes on top and the Abbott gearbox bush. I don't know whether the Abbott top bushes would be the same but I can't imagine them being much different.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Scaero, what did you find with regards to vibration etc?

I suppose the alternative is to change the front item and leave the rear as an original.

I noticed that the front bush we are discussing is in far worse condition than the one I removed from the back.

BTW The hydraulic mounts I removed were fine, the front had a slight split which wasn't a problem yet! oh well.

Skiddins

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Skiddins,

I know lots of people only change one, and on mine it was the front that was worse.

Scaero, what did you find with regards to vibration etc[/b]
On the carly there is no extra vibration, just a firmer engine/gearchange.

On th Aero, at idle there is some vibration in the dash, but if you raise the idle 50-100 rpm it goes away (but I'm not to bathered by that.

As soon as the revs rise you don't really notice any much more NVH.

Andrew

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had abbot wishbone, plus front and rear bushes, fitted along with engine and gearbox bushes with some other mods. Too scared to do it myself as I'm a bit of a technophobe when it comes to vehicles.

On otherwise standard 15" alloys, standard shocks/springs it has firmed up steering and has markedly improved handling especially in corners and on the fast cross country runs. I haven't found any of the reported understeer problems (but having said that haven't as yet had an "edge of the limit of handling" experience to pass full judgement on this issue).

There has been a slight NVH penalty - increased vibration via clutch pedal and gear stick - and if I'm really fussy at the wheel on tickover - but not especially noticeable, even less so with a few revs on - and most importantly, not at all to my regular passengers, (primarily the missus) so well worth the upgrade.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts