Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
had my 2.3lpt done. Worth every penny. Chose it over other upgrades as i wanted good throttle response and low down torque, rather than ultimate bhp gains. See profile.
Also had the larger front downpipe minus cat, new boost valve, air filter and also running a larger exhaust. Abbotts rated it at between 220-230bhp on Super unleaded fuel.

Car certainly accelerates far quicker
than my old 2.3FPT, and easily gives over 30mpg on a long run.

Would recommend it to any LPT owner. And no i havent got shares in Abbott Racing

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, here's the deal, my car's with the Saab garage at the moment (getting the head gasket replaced) and they're more than happy to fit the Abbott upgrade, however, they've advised me that if I'm going to do it, I should get a better dump valve and upgrade the engine mounts. It all sounds reasonable to me but I wondered what you guys think.. Cheers!.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
It's good advice about the dump valve, and partially good advice about the engine mounts... it all depends on the state of your current ones.

I presume they're talking about fitting poly bushes for the upper engine mounts. These are much stiffer than standard ones, so the other ones will have to take up more of the movement of the engine under load. If they are at all worn, then they will soon fail.

However, it is worth bearing in mind that the stock engine mounts are unchanged even on the Aero, so the standard ones are quite capable of handling the extra torque. Again, though, if they are a bit worn, the extra torque is likely to hasten their ultimate demise.

So, get the garage to inspect the state of the current mounts and take it from there...

Beware though that if you do go for the poly mounts, you will have a significant increase in cabin NVH. This is particularly noticable at idle.

HTH

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I'd say it's only partially good advice about the dump valve too. For that level of tune, a new standard one should work well. They're available for only about £15 + VAT compared to Abbott's inflated price of £120 + VAT for a Forge motorsport unit. These are available elsewhere for around £80 + VAT.

You can replace the standard valve many times over for the price of a motorsport valve.

·
Registered
76 Posts
About the dump valve... If you look at 9-5 you will see that Saab have changed inlet and outlet on the valve compared to how it's fitted to the 9000. This is done to make the valve to last longer and I know of people who are running with a stock valve in this "reverse" position on a 9000 2,3T with over 370 bhp...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.