Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my mates old 2.3T CC (CD front), which he was getting rid of due to its sub-20mpg 'economy'. It has a lot of AR parts fitted with documentation to match, and I intend to use it as a breake for those easily knocked off/broken parts (mirrors etc). It comes with lowered suspension for the 6 16" 5 spoke wheels with 225 section tyres (although not sure why someone would by a set a six wheels to start with), Carlsson steering wheel with AR foam bit, 3" exhaust system in stainless steel, uprated intercooler and ECU (reputed at 280hp!!), with big valve polished head. Somewhere within the mysteries of the gearbox is a LSD. According to the paperwork this little lot was £5000 well spent.
So, other than the usual panels and trim bits is it worth/possible to swap any of the 'performance parts? I've got a 2.3T with uprated injectors and ECU to give a mild 240hp with little stress or reduced economy. The only main engine difference between the cars (both 1991 on H-plates) is mine doesn't have TCS fitted. Thanks in advance.
PS was very cheap ie less than 2 mirrors and a DI cart from Saab.

[edited by Bubbles to add car spec from another post]

As an aside to my previous post re. Abbott parts, thought I'd list the spec of my car as it's a little odd, and it might have a bearing on electrics etc.
1991 2.3T CC with CD style front.
Got all the toys inside electric memory seats, ACC, 'wooden' dash, door caps, vents, rear ashtray and centre console. Glass sunroof, cruise, BUT no rear wash wipe (or even a grommet in the rear screen), and NO adjustable headlamps. It is a little odd and was originally from Hong Kong and imported by the 1st owner.
Hope this bizzare list helps.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
You should be able to swap the APC over no problem at all. The gearbox & diff will also fit, it's quite a bit of work involved of course doing the swap, not something I'm brave enough to attempt personally! Likewise the I/C will also go onto your car, although it's quite a long winded job as well.

But since both cars are 1991 2.3T's you have an ideal donor car there.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
got me salivating with all this nice stuff...

If you want a home for the gearbox.../ets/...etc

however it sounds as if you can swap things right over
btw big power should not mean poor economy

I am still getting almost the same economy as when I started modifying
I suspect there was another reason for the poor fuel economy

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It only has poor economy if you use the performance it's got. Nice 3000rpm motorway jaunt its just as good as any other FPT. However, my mate is a little lead footed and this H plater tends to annoy the rice-racer types who can't pass/keep up with it (up to 70mph, of course). Still he paid less than a grand for it and I'm getting it for a steal. Thanks for the good vibes. If it's being broken for bits I'll probably put them on 'the Bay'. I can't really justify 2 lots of tax and insurance for the mileage I do outside of work.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
hmmmm...

unless you drive like a pillock all the time.I do not believe you can get sub 20 without something being wrong

I do not hang about and I have yet to see my consumption dropping below 25...
(altho I have seen 7 mpg on the track
)
typically running to and from work along some very nice twisties I get 27-30 and on long runs I get 35 @ 80-85
and thats with 630 cc injectors...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.