Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
The TD04 will produce in the region of 350 bhp (max) on a fully spec'd 9000 Aero according to Swedish sources so i cant really think of many people who will be paying an extra £300 for a quoted 15bhp increase.
Also the Td04 has a 360 degree thrust bearing anyway....

Pete.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Strangely enough, My SCAero's turbo came from Abbotts about 6 years ago when the wastegate siezed shut solid.

They were the only place that back then could get a replacement at a sensible price.

Andrew

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would be surprised if a standard TD04 could produce 350bhp and be able to survive for any length of time. The flow maps for the turbo stop at the 300bhp level at which point the turbo is already spinning at 170000rpm and its efficiency has dropped to 60% (its producing a lot of heat).

·
Registered
661 Posts
Only going on info given to me by a chap from the Saab turbo club of Sweden Alex after i enquired about some of the C900's fitted with the TD04,
He stated i would be looking at around 280-300bhp for my application and the highest output on a TD04 on a 9k was 348bhp - so call it 350bhp ,
I agree about the fact that it wouldnt last long but if there available for £125 like i got mine for then who cares

Pete.

·
Registered
82 Posts
One assumes that at that level he must be running water injection and a very substantial intercooler.

Least with the TD series turbos the compressor doesn't touch its housing when over speeded, unlike some of the VF series of turbos (not Mitsubishi).

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
All I can say is that a TD04 bolted to a 235 engine block and the whole shebang controlled by a remapped ECU does wonders for your grey hair, especially if you didn't have any beforehand. Shove the whole lot in a 9-3 chassis, and scare yourself to death each day and every day
No use talking to me about 17000RPM if I have yet to muster enough courage to see the RPM needle pass 4500RPM .

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I'm sceptical about the TD04 at 350hp myself... my T3/28 hybrid is rated for 350hp- and the compressor housing is significantly bigger than a TD04. I know Saab allow a generous engineering margin but the downsides of doing so too much on a turbo are too many to overlook I would have thought- mainly the excessive lag.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Oh, I am sure someone somewhere has gotten a peak reading as high as 348 hp on the dyno ('corrected back' to the flywheel - which is kind of debatable in itself, and there are a few other correction factor a dyno operator can use to give a suspiciously high reading, but 300-310 hp will already put you on the ragged edge of the compressor effciency map (which is not a big problem with Trionic in itself - but how long that hp figure is sustained will be more subject to operating conditions than with a more generously sized turbo). I wouldn't shoot for a 'useable' 350 hp with a stock TD04HL15 - not when there are HL18 and 19's out there that just need to be 'rescued' from certain Volvo models...

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
The airflow out of a turbo does not necessarily limit the hp to s specific amount. For instance an engine breathing in 360 cfm with 8:1 compression won't have as much power as one with 9.3:1 compression. There are other factors like a/r ratio. Having a larger a/r ratio on the exhaust side means with the same amount of air the engine won't have to push as hard at high rpms, and could gain hp that way without any airflow changes. Maybe they just upped the a/r a little for top end? Or coulda polished the insides or something. Just a thought.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Just for Aero's eh?

What about 2.3FPT's, surely the uprated TD04 would be quite suitable for my car, where I'm looking for a bit more top end power at the expense of the gearbox munching torque spikes at 2Krpm! I realise I need to do several other upgrades before I go for an uprated turbo, namely the IC, Air filter and exhaust. My target is a steady and "reasonably reliable" 300bhp, but anything above 275bhp would be acceptable.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Adrian, the cfm of the turbo does give a good indication of the amount of hp that can be generated. Changing the restrictions downstream of the turbo (ie exhaust, larger turbine, engine rpm) will change the PR that the turbo produces to provide the airflow required.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Certainly Alex! But reducing backpressure reduces pumping losses at the SAME airflow. Thus increasing horesepower some amount irrespective of the airflow into the engine. And don't forget what I said about compression ratio. I'm just noting that sometimes the flow rating can be off by as much as 10% or so. Nothing huge. It's still a reasonable measuring tool. Just not perfect. It was really just an excercize in pedantry. lol

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
LOL Sorry I'm not familliar with the LPT Saab engines. If they use the same exhaust manifold, they should bolt on. You'd of course want a good intercooler, and an upgraded chip etc. But the trouble with a "steady reliable" 300 hp is that I don't believe the LPT cars have the same internals as the B235R's. I don't know if the pistons are forged, or the con rods. And the B235R's have nimonic alloy exhaust valves and some other trick stuff to help with heat. The LPT's may have it too. But I would be suprsised if they did. But they still might! If anyone reading this thread knows post quick! lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts