Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Come into some spare cash, so its upgrade avenue, the 2.0 cse eco (no i/c) needs a bit more puff, would love aero but present car is sound and would hate to part with it.

So Abbott +40bhp £600
Maptun +75bhp £600
Speedparts +76bhp £500

The big decision, which one to go with ???

Questions: why are abbott only hiking bhp by 40 ?yet the rest are taking me to un-modified aero bhp figures ?

All these decisions, decisions !!

Haggag01

·
Registered
14 Posts
Another biased opinion.

I have an Abbott ECU upgrade on my '95 Aero. If I were to upgrade again, I would choose another vendor.
Abbott's method of gaining power is to basically change the wastegate actuator. They change the base boost from the nominal value to the 12 Psi region using a stiffer wastegate actuator. This compromises the Trionics ability to reduce boost if need be. Not the safest method. Abbott's software changes the fuel maps and boost limits to take advanntage of the wastegate actuator.
If I take the Abbott actuator off, and use their software, my Aero performs just like a stock ECU.

The Swedish tuners get all their power increases with software alone. Base boost remains the same. These units give a much larger control range.

When I upgrade my '97 Aniv. Ed. I will probably use SQR or MapTune for my software. Definately not Abbott.

jj
'95 Abbott Aero
'95 CS FPT (Aero ecu)
'97 Aniv.ED.

·
Registered
360 Posts
How do you want to use the extra power?

I chose Speedparts because in addition to the good price/performance ratio, the new power is added at the higher end of the rev range : this means that for normal poddling the car is as standard but with loads and loads of power on tap when the revs get above 3000.

From the power curves and from other's reports, the Maptun unit adds power throughout the range (from 2000 revs or below) so that the car would feel generally "more powerful" but possibly (for me anyway) less "driveable".

However well engineered the Abbott unit may be, it loses badly in the price/performance ratio.

·
Registered
477 Posts
 Abbott's method of gaining power is to basically change the wastegate actuator. They change the base boost from the nominal value to the 12 Psi region using a stiffer wastegate actuator. This compromises the Trionics ability to reduce boost if need be. Not the safest method. Abbott's software changes the fuel maps and boost limits to take advanntage of the wastegate actuator.
If I take the Abbott actuator off, and use their software, my Aero performs just like a stock ECU.[/b]
JJ, I would have to disagree with this. I have the Abbott ECU upgrade (+40HP) on my 93 Aero, and all that was done was to re-programme the ECU, the wastegate actuator was not replaced. I know this because the ECU was sent to them and then re fitted after re-programming - no other mods were done.

·
Registered
14 Posts
JJ, I would have to disagree with this. I have the Abbott ECU upgrade (+40HP) on my 93 Aero, and all that was done was to re-programme the ECU, the wastegate actuator was not replaced. I know this because the ECU was sent to them and then re fitted after re-programming - no other mods were done.  [/b]
Neil, you may disagree, but I will relate my experience. I have a '95 Auto-Aero. I sent the ECU to Abbott for reprograming. I received the ECU, along with a new wastegate actuator. The new wastegate actuator was not the correct fitment. I returned the acuator for the correct piece.

In the mean time, I installed the Abbott reprogramed ECU with the original actuator. By the way, the base boost was set at 0.44 bar. With this combination, the power difference was not evident. I called Mr. Fairweather at Abbott and he said I would not feel an appreciable difference untill I installed the "correct" actuator.

When I did receive the actuator and installed it with the correct pre-load, as per Giles' instruction, I did feel a significant power difference. The base boost, at Abbott's recommended setting, was 0.75 Bar (11 psi). The maximum boost is about 1.25 Bar (18 psi). The motor has been measured with 260 ft-lbs of torque and 224 HP at the wheels.
The Abbott upgrade has plenty of power, but I beleive most other tuners use a safer method to produce similar power.

Since I did the all the installation, know the sequence of events, and the performed the all the hardware permutations and measured the results, I beleive my orignal explanation is accurate.

jj

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gentlemen, gentlemen

Lets not fall out over my topic, I recently read a topic on the performance forum and it got a little heated, apologies were made and the topic closed. It seems that the most opinionated topics come out when performance upgrades are the central topic, i think it go's back to "mines is bigger than yours" .

So what I am looking for is a bit more grunt all through but lower down as well 2000rpm,

maptun seems to do this best,

is their anyone is scotland doing maptun as I do not fancy trip to Birmingham. The stg 1 upgrade is filter and ecu, so could i send them ecu, they could mod and send back ??

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by Haggag01:
[qb]The stg 1 upgrade is filter and ecu, so could i send them ecu, they could mod and send back ?? [/qb][/b]
You may be able to order a Maptun upgrade by paying a deposit on the ECU, and they send you a modded one so you can install, then you return your old one then get your deposit back on receipt.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by Broken Turbo:
[qb]Hirsch never seem to get much of a look in.  [/qb][/b]
That's because they are so expensive when compared to Maptun, SQR, BSR, Speedparts etc....

IMHO Hirsch are only a consideration on a Saab that's still in factory warrenty, so if your car is older than 3 years, why spend twice the amount..??

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by Broken Turbo:
[qb]Hirsch never seem to get much of a look in. Have you considered them ?
I had a Hirsch upgrade done on my previous Saab and have nothing but praise for the upgrade - smooth, yet powerful. [/qb][/b]
There's no doubting that the Hirsch upgrades are excellent. I have driven a fair number of Hirsch powered Saabs and have always had great fun with them. If you can afford Hirsch then you won't be disappointed

·
Registered
969 Posts
I note that Haggago1's car is like mine (94 CSE LPT) without the intercooler. Is it not necessary to install the i/c to take advantage of the extra boost and avoid knocking problems, or does it not make much difference? I thought the LPT was about at the limit of no i/c (which is why they fitted it from '95).
There is also the APC controller which I understand is only fitted with no i/c - does this need modding/removal (or does it take care of the above)?

·
Registered
145 Posts
hi guys, confusion kicking in here, my car is a september 93 2.0 eco and has an intercooler.
I believe it was sept 93 the new balancer shaft engine (94 spec?)was introduced if so is this also when they started fitting intercoolers?
I'm 99% sure the car is standard.
keen to see the results of hag's upgrade!

·
Registered
145 Posts
ignore that last outburst, i'm just sitting thinking of the aero i used to have and twigged the intercooler sits in front of the radiator correct?
so that will be the aircon cooler beside the big radiator im talking nonsense about

a well must be my turn to play idiot

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Big davy, easy mistake their are a lot of radiators down their.I find it intresting as well because when I first approached elkparts, who use speedparts, they had to change their website from 94 to 96 as that is when i/c's were fitted from, but in the motherland they had i/c's from 94, they said upgrade could not be done due to me not having i/c, now it seems it can

·
Registered
969 Posts
Haggag01 I'm surprised about the intercooler as the air temp will be very high without one. Won't the APC back off the boost to protect against knocking and loose the benefit?
Where did you find the .48b (I assume this is base boost)? I have seen various figures from .3 to .43 and am currently running at .4b. The car goes into SES for service next week and they are going to check the Saab spec for me. I currently get a max boost of .65b (but not often or for long) so .48 base seems quite high. What max do you see, perhaps mine is low but I assume it is controlled by the black box programming?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.