Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, after a brief absence while I upgraded to Aero territory I am back with another question for you fine people.

The intake pipe from Abbott - I reckon it is very useful but does anybody else make one that isn't £250? It's only a tube after all...

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've posted something similar in the 9000 forum and had no reply yet.

I was after the specifications and then to fabricate my own. If I find out the specs or if someone else makes them, I'll let you know!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Even if you could fabricate a larger diameter pipe you would still have to find some flexible connectors to suit - which might be the most difficult job, and the reason why Abbott's kit is so pricey. They've probably had to pay for a moulding tool and a small run of mouldings(?)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I feel lucky I will rip the current pipe out one weekend and measure it up. I will let you know how it goes!

·
Registered
778 Posts
If you have a 9000 Aero, I wonder if it's really necessary? Dr. Boost and others (myself included) have had pretty good results from just removing the snorkel and drilling a few more holes. There are other areas where the returns are much greater for the dollars/quid spent: exhaust or software to name a few. A 3" downpipe would increase volumetric efficiency and cost much less, for example.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I have all of this as well as a pretty big turbo...
the biggest restriction is this bit of tubing

the I/C outlet is 2.5 " it tapers down to 2 " untill it goes round the bend into the manifold at 3" ...why ?

Sense would make it at last a 2,5 " tube...
for best flow a 3 " tube would be best

it does not have to be 250 squid for a bit of bent tube and a coupla fittings....

·
Registered
662 Posts
just an idea,but what about a trip around ones local exhaust centres??.they chuck all the old ones away.it might be possible to find a section from one of these .
simon

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah - £50 for the pipe and £200 for the Abbott sticker! It's tempting to spend the money just because the red sleeve looks so good with the rocker cover. Downpipe is an option but exhaust money is going on a nice oval backbox - standard one is nasty and rusty like every other I have seen!
Anyway, intake pipe is on the back burner until I get rid of the CHECK ENGINE light that has just popped up to say hello.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts