Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had an Abbott ECU fitted to my 92 CS Carly.
Had nothing but problems with, it seems to be running very lean as my engine is very hot. The TCS went loopy, the engine was missing badly etc, etc. Swapped it for the original SAAB one and all was well again. Has anyone else had any problems with the aforementioned chip or am I just unlucky?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately without reading the chip, it would be difficult to prove. Have to rely on their integrity.
It dissolved cylinders 1 & 3 on my engine, they literally melted they got that hot. So had to have another engine fitted.
My local SAAB maestro (Andy at SAAB Centre) has been great. I seem to be spending most days there lately.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Am i reading this right?? - you have had your engine diagnosed today with piston failure due to the Abbott ecu??
If so this is terrible news - lets hope Abbott accept responsibilty if indeed the ecu is to blame.
I cant help but feel upon previous problems others have had with poor workmanship (on this bb) you might have your work cut out

Good luck and keep us informed.

Pete.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by sawsedges(stg1 CS Carly):
[qb]Does anyone know of any other chips out there for the DI/APC engines?

John [/qb][/b]
No, I have been asking around and nobody seems interested. I would imagine any car will run lean if the APC is reprogrammed but the Jetronic isn't remapped to complement the new APC program.

Very sorry to hear about the loss of your engine, I hope you are treated fairly in trying to get the matter resolved.

Jason.

·
Registered
608 Posts
When abbott uprated your ecu, did they also fit an mbc ?

I am surprised that the abbott ecu failed, as I am lead to believe that there chip doesnt give the big gains of the other tuners and therefore should be less stress on components.

Good luck with resolving the issue

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by saab90002.3t:
[qb]When abbott uprated your ecu, did they also fit an mbc ?

I am surprised that the abbott ecu failed, as I am lead to believe that there chip doesnt give the big gains of the other tuners and therefore should be less stress on components.
[/qb][/b]
Good point, the Abbott APC isn't a very aggressive tune.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The actuator was/is fine. With the original SAAB chip in the ECU everything is hunky-dory. Put the Abbott chip in and it's all over the place. The car judders something chronic (like when you are on the last dregs of fuel) but it doesn't happen in the same place every time. Put my foot down and sometimes it is off like a rocket but other times not a sausage. If it's not the Abbott chip, it's a hell of a co-incidence that it runs a lot better without it.
PS no MBC just the standard APC

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I am correct, with the Abbott chip/actuator upgrade. It's the actuator that actually provides the increase in power, the ECU only re-maps the fuelling to match it. So if the mapping is out in anyway.....
you would have plenty of boost but without the fuel to feed it.
John

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by sawsedges(stg1 CS Carly):
[qb] So if the mapping is out in anyway.....
you would have plenty of boost but without the fuel to feed it.
[/qb][/b]
ish... because assuming the unit was functioning correctly, then it would detect knock and the APC system would reduce boost. A mapping error will certainly result in an engine running too hot/rough/drivebility problems but I wouldn't have expected it to produce damage from excessive knock.

You say putting a "normal" one in runs fine- was it your old ECU that was upgraded or did you send them a "spare" one?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.