Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Abbott advertise a brake upgrade using 308mm discs. I believe that this is based on the 9-5 Aero discs and calipers.

As nearly £1000 seems a lot for this kit, does anyone know if the parts can be purchased easily from Saab or elsewhere, or is there anything in the kit that Abbott have made specially?

Does anyone have the details of the parts or even part numbers?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by Mark B:
[qb]Abbott advertise a brake upgrade using 308mm discs.  I believe that this is based on the 9-5 Aero discs and calipers.

As nearly £1000 seems a lot for this kit, does anyone know if the parts can be purchased easily from Saab or elsewhere, or is there anything in the kit that Abbott have made specially?
[/qb][/b]
Two-speed-to-turbo have one on ebay - 308mm brakes, abbott springs, konis (used, of course, but only £300).

If you don't want the springs (and perhaps the konis) I might be interested in a joint purchase and split off those?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WDVW

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello Mark,

I've had the Abbott 308 kit on my Aero for just over 2 years. I beleive the calipers are from the 9-3 Viggen, but I think discs are Abbotts own.

Just a word of caution, although they're a big improvement on the standard setup I've aleady had to replace the dics & pads after just 20K.

The dics cost £175 each & pads are £135!

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Viggen calipers are the same as the rest of the 9-3/5 range, only the caliper carriers vary depndant on disc size.
(and Viggen calipers are also powder coated black)
So a std 9-3/5 SAAB pad will be a standard replacement.
The ebay link shows the disc may be std SAAB discs (9-5 aero are plain, but Viggen discs are slotted, both 308mm) adpated to fit the 4 stud hub.
I would guess the carriers could be a custom item, unless the viggen/aero caliper carrier bolts up to a 9000 hub

·
Registered
204 Posts
The slots in the link provided are different then the slots in the viggen discs, so they are probably custom slotted 9-5 aero discs.

Since I have both calipers laying around, I am going to try if the viggen calipers bolt on on the 9k.

Will report later

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to Saabscene Gary N.

I have got the brakes on my car at last. The discs are a genuine Saab item, part number 5391560, which I believe is a 9-5 Aero disc. The photos on Abbott's site are not entirely accurate. The discs started life with five holes, had one hole enlarged slightly and three further holes drilled to suit the 9000 mounting. So no need to buy your discs from Abbott, just get standard discs and take to a machine shop. The Abbott discs are grooved, which they may have had done, but is it really necessary?

Now that I've used mine for a few miles, the ultimate stopping is better, but the initial bite is not as good as my standard brakes with Mintex 1144 pads. I am tempted to change the pads already.

So a question to all you experts: which has the better initial bite, DS2500 or M1144?

Thanks.

P.S. As far as I can see, the only bit that Abbott have really done is the mounting bracket for the caliper. However, that wouldn't be that difficult for a decent machine shop to fabricate.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
From what I've heard, the Mintex aren't quite as good as the DS2500 from cold.

The benefit of grooved discs varies with different pads.

In all cases there's a small benefit from the mild "shaving" action on the surface of the pads reducing glaze and helping to keep fresh friction material against the disc. This does have an effect on pad life though.

The other benefit of grooves is to help gasses caused by the friction/heating to escape from the surface of the pad. If you've got a hot pad giving of a lot off gas, then it forms a bit of a barrier between the disc and pad that has to be overcome. The DS2500s are a low gassing, so there is less need to have grooved discs.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
My 325mm disks on alloy bells with red Brembo 4 pot calipers cost £900 inc vat.

Abbott's 308mm standard disks with lowtech calipers cost £1175 inc vat.

Glad I shopped around! I drove the demo car at Wix and it was little better than the standard setup.

Having said that, it would have been less hassle to go to Abbott, but it was worth the wait to have what I have got.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by Soulhand:
[qb]If you don't want the springs (and perhaps the konis) I might be interested in a joint purchase and split off those?
[/qb][/b]
Many thanks to Mark B who did indeed not need the springs and konis, did all the running around needed to buy these from ts2t, and sold me those bits

They're getting fitted (by DCA) on Thursday

1 - 11 of 11 Posts