Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Abbott 9000 Induction Kit

5K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  billj 
#1 ·
During my regular trawl through the Abbott website I notice that they are offering an induction kit for the 9000.

Has anyone got one fitted? Did it make a big difference?

I wonder how long the thread will be before someone:

a) Slags off Abbotts prices
B) Shows how you can build one with a fairy liquid bottle and some sticky backed plastic

#2 ·
Last time I was at abbott they had fitted one to a mildly specced car, just ecu I think for evaluation, certainly when looking at the filter box itself it was very well made, I am not sure if it justifies the price though...but I guess the R&D and tooling costs have to be passed on too !

I did offer my car as a guinea pig for them to try it on a more modified car, no response to that though !

I think its all down to personal choice etc with air filters and air boxes, rather than any massive increases in power

#3 ·
Yeah, I noticed this today while looking for something else....

Price looked a bit steep, but it does looked well made and in ally/carbon fibre too, so yes, those tooling costs have to be clawed back somehow I suppose.

I think the problem Abbott may have with some of the 9000 stuff now is that they could justify these sorts of prices for tuning parts when 9000's were new or nearly new, afterall, someone paying out £30+K for a new Aero in the mid 90's wouldn't have baulked at £400 for an induction kit. On the other hand £400 for an induction kit to fit to the Aero you've just bought for £4K is 10% of the cars value rather than just over 1%........

#5 ·
Abbott certainly didnt recommend me fitting the speedparts induction kit and removing the whole airbox, (they freaked when they saw my current setup !, air filter in the engine bay!) With my setup I have not noticed any reduction in bottom end torque and its certainly helped with top end breathing too

It was stated to me that the snorkel of their new air box helped torque and prevented water ingress through large puddles.

#6 ·
Originally posted by ylee coyote:
[qb]actually it does look value for money for a change
there is a lot of work gone into that...[/qb][/b]
Like their exhaust systems, it does look like it will outlast the rest of the car by a long way. It certainly appears to be a quality piece of workmanship. The snorkel on the original airbox is a silencing device. While this one retains the snorkel (although the constriction might not be as small - it's hard to tell from the photo), it is at least a straight pipe rather than the 130 (or so) degree bend of the original.

Having said all that, the airbox looks like it is an ITG item rather than being made by Abbott (Abbott make no bones about it being an ITG-derived design). If this is the case, the airbox will be carbon fibre, according to the description of the Maxogen range on the ITG site. The inlet pipe looks custom-made, though.

I wonder about "Replaces the standard air box / filter assembly, which dates back to the 175BHP design, of 1986 which was never updated for higher power outputs"

I have no photos of the original 1985/1986 airboxes but they were not all the same, at least as far as the snorkel was concerned:

#14 ·
Originally posted by ylee coyote:
[qb]but its only rated to 350 hp...[/qb][/b]
320, I thought it said.

Just had a look around and induction systems using the carbon fibre box run at around £380 including VAT, which is what Abbott are charging.

[Edit: Ylee beat me to it. That's where I looked too]

#17 ·
I've got one on my Elise. Cost around £350 in vat from memory.

They reckond it makes 8% difference on the RR, but I reckon that's cobblers. Sound nice, mind.

I'd be interested to see a review from a Saabscener. Sadly, I don't always think that Abbott's stated power gains mean that much as if you add all of them up on a super specc'd car (eg 225bhp+40+8+5 etc etc), you won't see that much on the RR.

#19 ·
Sadly, I don't always think that Abbott's stated power gains mean that much as if you add all of them up on a super specc'd car (eg 225bhp+40+8+5 etc etc), you won't see that much on the RR.  [/b]
Concur. My car is living proof of that - adding up the websites claims I should be blatting around with 300BHP+. Instead, independent reviews from very experienced Saab modders suggest 240 - 250. Still, if you hit the sweet spot, there is plenty of
to be had.

#21 ·
Gordy, you're right about that. I'd say that those figures could only represent what each part alone would add to an otherwise unmodfied car. In the case of the dump valves, the HP increase depends on the original being faulty. Adding more bits is subject to a law of diminishing returns.

However, while Abbott seem to appreciate that most people reading their adverts know horsepower as the sole measure of performance, we know better. Your car certainly has loads of
which will be down to bucket-loads of torque and lovely power delivery.

It's also on the road more often than mine

#23 ·
Originally posted by Scaero (Maptun stg3):
[qb]that wasn't goodwood feb though was it?[/qb][/b]
No, it was March or April (so long ago I can't even remember
)

Going like a rocket now, though, after a bit of adaptation this evening.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.