Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe one or two Saabscener's have now had these fitted. Does it make any difference and is it worth the dosh?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I have Jez, and so has Gordy. The consenus seems to be that it doens't make a huge difference at road speeds, but is quite noticable at higher track speeds 80-90mph plus.

It all depends on the set up of your car. I'm sure that if I didn't have the pipe fitted to mine which also has all the other elements of the intake modified, then it would be the most significant remaining restriction that could be easily reduced. Hitting redline in 2nd comes around all too often and easily

As for value... it's difficult to give an absolute answer for the reasons noted above. However, on an otherwise stock car I'd say you'd get more performance increase for your money from a 3"downpipe/cat bypass if you haven't done that already and much better value (although higher cost) from an uprated intercooler. The difference the intercooler made to mine was very noticable indeed, and certainly gave more
per £ than the intake pipe.

HTH

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Mark. I have the full JT exhaust system anyway. The way Abbott talk about it on their site, it seems a must for an Aero, but nevermind! I may pay a trip to Abbott soon for an LSD/gearbox rebuild, so was just pondering about other mods.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I agree with Mark, the pipe does make a difference at the top end. I'd recommend it as a "nice to have" rather than a necessity.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hi,

I got the pipe, along with the atmospheric dump valve and manual boost control fitted today.

I got the pipe because I liked the look of it and wanted a new "better" looking dump valve.

From what I can tell of the jounrey back there is little difference to the performance of the car, other than the MBC should help erradicate erratic boost levels which I got with the APC.

For asthetic purposes I would recommend the intake pipe

·
Registered
608 Posts
By my phrase erratic boost levels, I meant that some days the car pulls like a train (see my previous posts on this) other days it just doesnt seem to be with it.

The car had only just been serviced, so new plugs etc, the only thing that I could attribute it to would be the APC, everything thing else was new

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by andycannon:
[qb]The car had only just been serviced, so new plugs etc, the only thing that I could attribute it to would be the APC, everything thing else was new [/qb][/b]
I'd guess that the APC solenoid was probably shot, my 2.0 Carlssson used to suffer very badly with erratic boost, often cleaning the APC solenoid valve with carb cleaner would restore some
for a few days, then the problem would return. Since in most cases an MBC is cheaper than a new solenoid valve it's probably a good investment with older cars, but personally I'm not that comfortable with using them. I'd like to explore my APC and and Jetronic upgrade options before I resign myself to fitting an MBC.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Yes, the APC came with the abbott upgrade, I acknowledge that it would have been worth ironing out the erratic boost problems, however, every trip to abbott is a days holiday from work and the expense that goes with it. So the MBC was the way to go to get a more constant boost level

1 - 11 of 11 Posts