Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I think both Mark E and Gordy have these.

Both have from memory said it only really useful at high revs.

Mark suggest spending just a little more and changing the Intercooler instead / 1st.

Andrew

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Yup,

Scaero's right. Bang for buck, it's not nearly as good value as the IC. The other really cheap thing to do to reduce intake impedance is to remove the restrictive from the intake box. Don't just take it away completely though, make sure you put a short bellmouth in it's place.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Originally posted by Mark E:
[qb]Don't just take it away completely though, make sure you put a short bellmouth in it's place. [/qb][/b]
Why not take it away completely and saw a few extra holes? That's what most people does here in Sweden and the origin of that idea comes from Dr Boost himself... I know that Fredrik from Maptun have taken away the airbox completely and has his filter open.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yup, I only really noticed a difference at 90mph plus where there was a definite increase in pull. I would rate it as a nice to have once you've done everything else.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, sounds like the intercooler first. I need to know more about this airbox business, though. I am running an unmodified system with a JT filter at present.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Originally posted by JezF:
[qb]Andrew, have you really now got 10 Saabs?    :eek:  [/qb][/b]
No, I'm down to 7 now but there is no more room in the previously owned section

Still looking for a nice '90-'93 C900 T16s or Carly or C900C T16

Andrew, down to...

'93 CS Aero
'91 2.3 Carly
'84 C900 8vT
'85 C900 8vT
'90 C900 S
'97 ng900 SET
'99 9-3 SET

·
Registered
76 Posts
Even though nobody seems to care about my advice on modifying the airfilter box I thought that I should show you how it looks.

The picture is from a guy that calls himself "TD04" on STCS forum and he also works at Saab, just like Dr Boost.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, guys, is this what I should be doing? Any downsides to doing this? ie. will it pass the MOT, does it increase noise a lot etc.etc.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
It shouldn't have any effect on emissions, so there's no MOT worries.

Downsides? A slight increase in induction noise and also perhaps more susceptibility to water intake if you ever go through a deep puddle.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Also that mod would give hotter air into the airbox, as it is taking air from the engine bay, behind the radiator and beside the engine... if you could get all those hoels to have cold air intakes to them, the that would be better still

·
Registered
76 Posts
Originally posted by Grentarc:
[qb]Also that mod would give hotter air into the airbox, as it is taking air from the engine bay, behind the radiator and beside the engine... if you could get all those hoels to have cold air intakes to them, the that would be better still [/qb][/b]
That modification will get as cool air as possible since it's not inside the engine bay - it's located where the original airfilter box is on the 9000

·
Registered
258 Posts
Been away a bit (moved from Bristol back to Scotland).

I've one fitted to my 9k (96 MY 2.0 lpt, with Abbot ECU, dump valve, ITG filter, gearbox & engine mounts and roll bar bushes). This MY has an intercooler already.

For what it is worth I felt there was a marginal difference at lower speeds, I found at higher speeds (70 plus) the difference is much better felt, but at lower speeds but higher revs (eg working the engine harder) there is a noticeable (moderate) power delivery improvement over the set up without the intake pipe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts