Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching through the website, and can someone confirm if my understanding of this is correct.

The MBC will allow the turbo to spool up quicker, and allow full boost in 1st and 2nd gears, but the downside, I will lose top end power.

is this right ?

My car has already been chipped, does this also make a difference to the MBC ?

cheers

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Why do you think you will lose top end power?

I've got one -it's actually made by Forge, BTW- and the way I use it and understand Abbott suggests you use it is to replace the APC solenoid with it, effectively deleting active boost control. For safety, you will want to set it no higher than the lowest max boost level a properly tuned APC, DI/APC or Trionic system would allow you. Basically, it's a way to ensure consistent boost levels (which is mostly not the case with older APC or DI/APC systems) and addidg driveability on high powered applications because you'll have say 1.0 bar all the way up instead of a tyreshredding, trannywrecking initial 1.6 bar tapering off to the same 1.0 bar level at the high end.
Spool up should be indeed a bit quicker than with the electromagnetic APC solenoid, but not as fast as with a Dawes Device or similar, which doesn't merely 'bleed off' the pressure going to the wastegate actuator but effectively blocks it until a pre-set boost level is reached.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
trannywrecking initial 1.6 bar tapering off to the same 1.0 bar level at the high end.[/b]
So thats most 9000 owners then Eric?

Sorry, but I like my low end Torque. Perhaps it's because I'm lazy and I like plonking my car in 5th gear and leaving it there (until I drop below 40mph). I just try to use the loud pedal more judiciously; one should always drive with a sympathetic attitude towards ones car anyway.

Going back to topic ... the MBC will flatten out your torque curve and give more top end power providing it's set appropriately. The only danger is that it's easy to get carried away and leave you car running too much boost and hence leaning out.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, so MBC is a benefit and I will not lose top end performance.

What is the Dawes device and are these available in the uk ?

sorry for all the questions I am not very technically minded.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Sorry, but I like my low end Torque[/b]
Yeah, but you're still in the low 200 hp range. Multiply your torque/power by 1.5 and things get a bit hairy in a FWD car (read: 99.9% of drivers would regard your car as 'undriveable' in the dry, let alone the wet). Plus you'd have to regard gearboxes as a consumable. As Saab did not engineer a quick-out system for the 'box it can be, er, inconvinient at times.
Extend what low/midrange power you have further up the rev range, however, and you could well end up with 1.5x the power and still be in control (to an extent, and depending on the actal driver, of course ).

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
It's the same part, but the parts numbers are different because Abbott has a part number system where the first letter denotes the application, i.e. A= classic 900, D= 9-3 and E= 9-5. Even the parts that aren't peculiar to a model are listed with every applicable model, i.e. AEN007 for the manual boost valve for the classic 900, EEN007 for the same part for the 9-5.

Maybe it's a way for them to keep track of how many of a certain part they sell to 900, 9000, 9-3, etc. owners, for marketing purposes...

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Originally posted by maxter:
[qb]Is it compatible with a T7 ECU? (ie. a 9-5 2.0 lpt) [/qb][/b]
No MBC's are not advised for T7 cars...
The T7 works to very strict guidelines for its torque maps..
anything outside those programmed will be stiffled in some way..
You may acheive quicker spool up, but thats hardly an issue with an lpt...

The MBC's are available from just about any reasonable dealer...
ie, forge motorsport, JW racing, etc...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts