Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the two metal straps which support the underside of the fuel tank on my 1997 CSE broke today on the way home from work. It appears to have simply corroded away and fallen down, resulting in a loud rattle/scraping sound ( and possibly sparks?) from under the floor.

Just thought I'd warn other owners to have a wee check to see if theirs are in a similarly poor condition.

I just tied it up with a bungee until I could fix it at home.
I don't know if this is a common fault or just peculiar to
my car. None of my other, much higher mileage, 9000s had this happen.This car only has 99k on it.

The tank seemed to be well enough supported by the remaining strap, although I was worried about the load on it since I've got an almost full fuel tank.

No doubt this part will cost a few quid from my main dealer, I suspect a bodge will not pass my imminent MOT

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Thanks for the timely reminder Wulbert.

There have been posts about this before, on similar age cars. On my '97 every time I get underneath (exhaust, rear ARB bushes, handbrake, etc.) I notice that the straps are a bit corroded, and I say to myself "I must sort that out before it gets too bad".

With spring coming in, after a winter of salt baths, now is the time to take remedial action!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had this problem last September - my car spent most of it's life in Scotland - I note your location.....

You or a mechanic may have this to come...
The straps are held in by one nut (M13 I think) on a long thread - undoing mine resulted in the bolt shearing off with alarmingly little force. All is not lost - the bolts are anchored from inside the boot, underneath the boot floor. The bolt head is welded to a supporting plate - I just drilled a hole to accept another, free bolt of enough length supported by a large washer. The metal is dead easy to drill (explaining the bolt shear!) - I used a cordless without problems. You may want to consider a dab of sealant around the bolt, to stop water getting in.

Take care when locating the new strap at the front - the mounting will be corroded. I did both straps to be sure. The pair will set you back about £75 new - couldn't see the point in buying secondhand. If you are just buying one, be very careful when ordering - the diagram that my dealer had was not clear, and ordered the wrong one - the straps are 2 different lengths.

Make sure the tank is supported, especially if you do it when full. Use big blocks of wood, or a spare jack with something to spread the load - the tank buckles easily. With a lot of fuel in it, the tank will have dropped down considerably - you may consider not using the car until sorted. It is a definite MOT failure in that state - and for good reason.
I am unsure of the nature of the fuel pump connections on the top of the tank, but you don't want to rupture them.

Hope this is of use

·
Registered
181 Posts
There are some pictures on NorsePerformance.com from when we removed the tank on our track car to get at the brake lines.

One of the bolts sheared so we also drilled it out from above (no problem with a sharp drill).

Note, the oval foam/plastic pieces seen near to the fuel pump opening are the covers for the captive bolts, if you need to drill them out.

Also, if the tank straps are this bad, you should obviously check the state of all the brak lines under there and replace as nessesary.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My 97 CSE suffered the same problem just recently. Again, full tank and no apparent reason. But it happened just a mile from a friendly country repair shop. He took it off and set in a new piece of metal and sent me on my way! My wife's 91 model has over 200k on it and never a problem.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thannk you very much people for the useful, practical info, especially Mc Saab.
I was going to just take the strap off my old, dead '93 LPT but on reflection I think new parts are in order . more so since i plan to sell the car this year.
cheers,
wul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.