Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went to look at a saab for me this evening. Its a J reg (Feb 92) CS 2.0 auto. Its done 135K miles and has a full service history from Appleyard Saab.

Its white with a dark grey interior which shows no sign of wear. Wood dash but no a/c. 205 tyres with Saab alloys

It handled well (according to steve), accelerated OK and the auto box was quiet and pretty smooth on its changes.

3 previous owners and is on sale for 2200.

Is this a good deal?

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
That is expensive for what it is.

As Saabchick said, that thread has a similar discussion.

That Auto should be £1500 tops - the sort of car you could get close to £1000 if lucky. £2200 should get an M plate or newer!

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Sitting here talking about it we have done some searches and setting max of £3000 on autotrader and indicating an auto box it comes back with 5 hits, all of which are J or K reg. It looks like the auto boxes push the price up quite a way (a 2K to 5K search on Autotrader with auto gives 5 results. Without Auto gives 21). Parkers also gives 1900 as a trade value for a J reg 20 CS Auto.

Steve

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Dont worry about what people are asking - just find the right car and keep your eye on it. Wait a few weeks, is it still there if so go and make a low offer and be prepared to walk away. Not many buyers for high milage 9000. I bought a one owner, fSsh, 98k miles P-reg (MY96) 2.3T CSE auto from a car dealer for £3800 a few months ago. Would expect to be able to find one cheaper now. Also found a two-ownwer fSsh, 94k miles N-reg 2.3T CSE manual from a Saab dealer for £3500 - he was asking £4995. I know another Saab dealer with a P-reg 80k 2.0T CSE manual that is asking £6500ish, I'm sure he will take £4500 but I wouldnt give him more than £4k for it. Give it a few more weeks and my £4k will be a lot more than he will get at auction for it. But someone may pop in and give him closer to the asking price - in which case I start looking again.
Also know of a 165k miles 2.3TCSE M-plate that as a trade in was valued at £1200!

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Checking round its the combination of autobox and CS that seems to push the price through the roof. Sure I have seen a M reg in the price range we are looking at but it had 178K+ on the clock and do I want to touch an autobox at milage knowing that a fault is going to set me back a grand or more to fix?

Steve

·
Registered
177 Posts
Kat, its under the Saabshop Classifieds - For sale section - look in the drop down box at top of this site. Or can send you some pics. Sorry, but its a manual, but one that goes very well. But must refer you to the class ads or the moderator will have a moan for trying to sell on the forum I guess.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Originally posted by StephenA:
[qb]We will take some photos of both of our saabs together.. I must admit that the 2.3 turbo auto drives very well - especially if you kick down on the accelerator.

Steve[/qb][/b]
Good to hear SaabKat got her car and that you both can have fun . What did it cost in the end?
Only ask as Saabchick said at the top of this thread, I started a similar topic on "how much and for what" before and got good info. Definitely want to see pics - I'm still hunting that elusive bargain I might go look at Brian's ad now
Have fun
Andra

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I must admit that the 2.3 turbo auto drives very well - especially if you kick down on the accelerator.[/b]
Oh yes it certainly does. Traffic light sprints are a hoot too. Maybe I'm just getting old but I drive the 2.3T auto and leave the 2.3T manual for the missus. Umm just need that centre arm rest and pipe and slippers Actually I'm fast turning the wifes car into my Carlsson substitute - Carlsson wheels, poly bushes, atmos dump valve done, Carlsson springs, stainless single box exhaust and MAP sensor bleed to add.

Anyway Saabkat congratulations on the car great choice. Look out for the middle aged beamer boys who dont seem to like women driving a bigger/faster car than them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone I am so excited to finally have wheels of my own but I have to admit driving over here will take some getting used to. The Saab isn't that much wider than cars I have driven in the States but trying to gauge how much room I have on the passenger side is a challenge. I am too used to having to judge on the right rather than the left. Coupled with narrow roads and streets. Well you get the idea. Needless to say the 30+ mile drive home yesterday was a bit of a white knuckler. But the car handles like a champ and I love the way it responds. Can't wait to challenge a beemer at the stop lights, just don't tell Steve (heeheehee). This is without a doubt the best car I have ever driven let alone owned. Like Steve said we will post pics of the babies as soon as we can. Off to change my profile

SaabKat (honest and truly now)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Saabkat personally I have found Saabs the easiest car to drive. My first car was a fiesta and I have found that the bigger the car especially a Saab the easier it is to judge the width and length of. Especially being small the Saab gives me the best all round visibility. Then again my sister who is tall but drives a little car said when she test drove mine that she didn't even notice the size of it because of been able to see so well out of it.
Good luck with the car keep on kicking BM's butts I do.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
What did it cost in the end?  [/b]
What we got was a 1992 (K) 2.3 FPT 9000 CS auto in black with full leather / walnut interior, electric "memory" front drivers seat, 10 CD Sony Auto Changer, Thatcham cat 1 immobiliser, alarm / central locking, 205 tyres (must check their other values), TCS, 92K on the clock, Full saab service history in original log book.

And the cost?.. £2245

1 - 20 of 22 Posts